Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ankle Update

Yesterday when I woke up my ankle was really hurting; the worst since the accident last Tuesday. I looked at it carefully and I noticed it was quite swollen -- and black and blue. Thanks to Coach Phil I found a sports podiatrist, who I saw today. She said there was a "considerable" amount of swelling and said she needed to do an ankle and foot MRI to be able to assess the damage. The MRI will likely be on Friday. She said it didn't look like it was a "surgical" situation (gulp -- I never even considered that) but she thought their was likely ligament damage. Even in a best case scenario - simply soft tissue damage - she very strongly suggested no running for at least 3-4 weeks. That is officially the longest I have ever been knocked out of the running box. I guess I see a lot of weight lifting and swimming in my future (both podiatrist approved).

I am bummed. I am also growing increasingly pissed at the driver that caused this accident. Enough so that I am reaching out to lawyers. I am not litigious by nature, but now that the bills are accumulating, I guess I have to look at all options.

Anyway, I am bummed, though I recognize that this entire situation could have been far, far worse. I'll lick my wounds tonight (so to speak) and tomorrow I hit the pool.

1 comment:

gailaj said...

Ouch! Sorry you heard the two things no runner ever want to hear -- 1) No running and 2) surgical (that ominous word). A cliche I know, but just try to think about it in the long run (no pun intended), you don't want to do any more damage....but as someone on the way back from an injury (as you know), I feel your pain. Try to enjoy the pool in the meantime...