Friday, January 1, 2010

Top Albums of 2009

Happy New Year, all! Wishing you all healthy, happiness and prosperity in the New Year.

I am a little late with this post, but below are my top 10 albums of 2009. Without ado, they are:

10. Florence and the Machine - Lungs. Not sure where this band came from but boy, can this English chick sing.
9. xx -- xx. Another band I was unaware of going into this year, but this one is oddly hypnotic and a great listen whether running or chilling.
8. Metric - Fantasies. This one keeps growing on me and I find myself listening to it more, no less, as the year goes on. I also love their recent Unplugged EP.
7. Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3. Not Jay's greatest work by any means, but he remains the Man and this one contains several classics, including Empire State of Mind, which became a calling cry during my Yankees world series run.
6. Raekwon - Only Bult 4 Cuban Linx. Maybe not the best rap album of the year (see Kid Cudi) but certainly the most interesting.
5. Them Crooked Vultures -Them Crooked Vultures. I like music that rocks and this certainly fits the bill.
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz. A great listen start to finish. Karen O rocks.
3. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon. Where in the world did this dude come from? I will be listening to this one year's from now.
2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Live Anthology. Does this even count, as not one song is even remotely new? Doesn't matter. This is an absolute classic and gave me entirely new respect for an under appreciated master.
1. Silversun Pickups - Swoon. When it's all said and done, this might not be regarded as one of their best works but it confirmed for me that they are my favorite "new band". Something about their sound really hits home for me, and with this one, they might become my fourth favorite band of all time (Clash, Jane's Addiction, Pumpkins).

And a few other thoughts:

Most Disappointing Album of the Year: 

Eminem -- Relapse

Most Overrated Album(s) of the Year:

Anything by Animal Collective or Grizzly Bear. I swear, I try and I try but I just don't get it.

Coolest Metal Band from a Non Metal Fan:

Mastdon - Crack the Skye

Number 11 on the Above List: 

Phoenix -- Wolfgang Amadeus

Album I am Most Embarrassed About Really Liking: 

Taylor Swift -- Fearless

2nd Album I am Most Embarrassed About Really Liking:

Anything by Lady Gaga

Album that Would Have Made my top Ten List But Ummm, It Isn't Exactly Out Yet

Broken Bells -- Broken Bells

Album I am Most Anticipating in 2010

Girl Talk

Posted via email from Howard Solomon

No comments: