Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Economy and New Things

Just a quick post because I have had a ferocious week, that's about to get even worse (a 7:15 am flight to Denver tomorrow and another one on Friday to Detroit at about the same hour).

I don't write too often about work because I really try to keep this blog separate to the best extent possible from that area of my life, but things are definitely starting to get bad out there. My industry, public relations, generally feels downturns early, but that hasn't been the case this time around. Obviously, it has started with financial services, but the trickle down effect isfinally starting to happen. I have been through two bad downturns in my career so I feel like I know what to expect,as well as how to navigate through it, but my suspicion is that this is the tip of the iceberg and this one will be particularly bad. Note we haven't been affected just yet, at least not in a material way, but I can absolutely see which way the winds are blowing. Anyway, let's hope I am wrong. But I don't thing I am in this instance.

On a different and more upbeat note, I got a few new things of late, including:

-- a new bathroom, which is costing me an arm and leg, but starting to look really, really good
-- the new Guns n Roses album, which leaked yesterday and is *much* better than expected. Axyl has a voice like no other and it's good to hear him again after so many years
-- the New Killers album, which also leaked. Not so sure what to make of this one yet but I'm not blown away based on my first listen
-- The New Yorker; my favorite magazine in the world (though I confess that I am so pinched for time I don't get enough time with each individual issue). This was a gift from my mother and one of the best gift I've received in a long while.

Lastly, happy retirement, Mike Mussina. I hope you go to the Hall of Fame and I hope you go as a Yankee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it,s called a recession and it rhymes with depression.gs

Anonymous said...

the new Yorker is awesome for flights. it will occupy an entire flight (at least) and you don't have to carry a heavy book. speaking f which, you read "Too Fat to Fish" yet? it's not your typical celebrity bio - alot of pain there.