Sunday, November 30, 2008

Great Day

We had a long but terrific day today. We started off with a visit to the Academy of Sciences in San Francisco, which is an amazing museum for children and kid's alike. Evidently, we are members, which is cool and we walked through several exhibitions, the best being the planetarium. If you ever find yourself in San Francisco, put this on your must-do list.

Afterwards, our friends from the East Bay (newly arrived from Chicago) and we went on a killer hike (with their kid, ours and two friends) nearly all the way up Mount Tam, where we tried to find the wreckage from a plane crash from 1944. Evidently, much of the debris is still intact. We unfortunately bypassed the accident site (informally called Old Plane Trail) as it isn't marked, and it was getting dark in a hurry and we had to get the kid's (and adults for that mater) off the mountain. It was a pretty tough hike and I was very impressed by and proud of all the kids We must have hiked in excess of thee, maybe four miles in total. Nothing better than a good hike with kids, especially in beautiful terrain such as this; the views from the mountain were astonishing. And oh yeah, did I mention that the temperature was around 67? Can't say that I miss Chicago weather.

In other news, t-minus one week to my marathon and I cannot wait to get it over with. I'm on the verge of complete burnout and have been discouraged by the fact that my last several runs have absolutely sucked. I am starting to get my head around the fact that my goal for this race - 3:19:59 might be unattainable. Regardless, I will put in my best effort and whatever happens, happens. Such is life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe it,s time to let the kids run it for you.gs

Anonymous said...

Data point - I felt beat the week before my 50 mile and 100 mile race. Tired, sore, crappy runs during the week. You know how bad it was before the 50, it was worse before the 100.

I think once you get running the race will pop out of you. You've definately got the miles and the speedwork in, better training than when you ran a 3:2X before.

Anonymous said...

Do you know the word retire? I agree let the kids do the running. Be their coach. Sometimes the body needs a rest.

Don't get me wrong I wish you luck and then retire.

Anonymous said...

I'm not flying my butt out there to hear you concede defeat before the race even starts. Get your head together asap.