Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Food

I think this is my first food related post out of 401. As you could probably ascertain based on that, I'm not much of a foodie, though I do eat a lot. Some might say I eat a staggering amount, actually (right Beno?). There might be a correlation with all my aerobic activities.

My mother, as anyone who knows her could attest, is an amazing -- and I mean amazing -- cook, but we were a family of three very active boys (not to mention a father with a pretty large appetite) and we ate what was put in front of us and didn't give it much thought. That being said, much like anyone else, I appreciate a fine meal.

Anyway, what got me thinking about this subject is I just had some killer sushi (not hard to find in California) and was thinking that sushi just might be my favorite food. Which got me thinking to five foods I couldn't live without. It's a bit of an unusual list, and it goes something like this:

1. As mentioned, sushi. I just love good sushi and could eat it every day (and when I'm in LA, which is often, I DO in fact eat it every day, because pound for pound, LA has the best sushi in the country!). I'm particularly partial to tuna, yellowtail and shrimp (ebi) bit I love it all.

2. Pretzels. I am a pretzel-maniac. Hot, cold, salty, non-salty, hard, soft, I love them all. Always have. I think it has something to do with the Solomon genetic predisposition to salt. Thanks to my brother Scott, I have found the holy grail of prezels, Happy Herbert's (www.happyherberts.com. Go and buy a case. Now). I literally buy them by the caseload and the hardest thing is during my non-iodine radiation diet was not being able to eat them for a month.

3. Artichokes. My super food; I eat them every day when they are in season. I've loved 'chokes since I was a little boy, and the tradition carries over with The Little Girl. I am proud to say she can devour one in under five minutes.

4. Steak. I am and always will be a steak kind of guy. Porterhouse and filets are my cut, and steakhouses are my preferred restaurant (favorites include Peter Lugers in NYC; Gibson's in Chicago, Prime in Las Vegas and Bob's in San Francisco)

5. Odwalla Protein Shakes. Ok, not really a food and in a certain sense not exactly a favorite, but I couldn't live without this (expensive) drink. They contain about 400 calories with 20 grams of protein, so they are the equivalent of a meal and they almost singularly get me through my business travels. They are the first thing I look for in airports.

If I had to list a sixth, it would probably be an In and Out burger, but they merit are so special they merit their very own post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention the wife? I know she can cook when she wants to. Give it a try.

Crazymamaof6 said...

interesting food list. we could not be food friends. with the exception of the pretzels.
but still fun to learn something new.

Anonymous said...

i think that may be one of our two main things in common -- eating ridiculous amounts of food -- the other being an addictive propensity for tech toys. my top five is easy, as long as i keep it vague. i'll just say general cuisine and current favorite chicago provider(s) of said cuisine:

5. the american cheeseburger (really any burger will do, but in chicago portillo's is tops, NY is shake shack, west coast definitely in and out)
4. sushi (mirai, sushi x, kamehachi, mirai, too many to name really)
3. mexican (picante, la bamba's, kara's mexipies, taco bell)
2. thai (star of siam, dao, big bowl)
1. pizza (aurelio's, d'agostino's, sarpino's, jack's)