Monday, November 24, 2008

A Measure of Redemption

I am just back from Detroit, where my main man Steve-O got married. At 42, it was a long time coming but in the end, he did very, very well and his bride is super cool (arguably cooler than him -- let's see if that merits a response). Anyway, it was a festive occasion and we did more than our fare share of celebrating. It was a Sunday night wedding so we had plenty of warm up getting ready for the big event. I am so tired I literally feel like a zombie.

Aside from watching one of my closest friends walk down the aisle, one of the more gratifying elements for me personally was the toast I gave on Saturday night. A little background: about 17 years ago, I gave a toast for another friend's wedding, and I bombed. And I mean bombed. I don't really mind, especially in that I learned an important lesson that I have continued to apply to this day: never go into a speech unprepared. And by that, I mean it's imperative to have written remarks.

However, my boys have been giving me nonstop grief over this speech literally every time we are together. It's not a matter of when I will catch (at least) ten minutes of grief about that speech, it's a matter of when the discussion will arise.

After 17 years, I can take it, as it's deserved, and I am fairly adept at dishing it out pretty well myself. However, when I was asked to give a speech at this wedding, I knew this was my one shot at relative redemption and if I bombed again, I'd have no choice but to jump over the Golden Gate Bridge. It would have been my only recourse.

So, I took this speech pretty seriously. I wasn't really too concerned about the other 140 guests or so who were listening; again, it was the Michigan boys I was singularly worried about.

The long story short, I think and hope that I earned myself a measure of redemption. I will let Dave, Payro or Wiley to post a comment beyond that if they are so inclined, but suffice to say, for one weekend at least, I was able to put my performance from 17 years ago behind me.

Anyway, that's about it for tonight; I am literally falling asleep standing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

has she seen the seahorse?

Unknown said...

Redeemed. Great speech.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, great toast.

Anonymous said...

for those of us not watching it on mational tv can we get a copy or at least a summary.gs

Ebony said...

for those of us not watching it on mational tv can we get a copy or at least a summary.gs