Thursday, August 30, 2007

Confession

So, I have a confession to make: I am on steroids. If I happen to win next week's race yet fail the doping controls, be aware that you heard it here first, straight from the horses mouth. I took my first cycle earlier today (at the local Walgreens, with an assist from the local pharmacist) and though it was only three quick hits off the inhaler, I already feel significantly stronger and more powerful.

Ok, here's the real deal. I have an inflamed chest, the result of what was likely a persistent viral infection. So, the doc prescribed a few inhalers that contain mild steroids. Sadly for me, they will have zero effect on my performance. I celebrated this news by swimming about 2,000 meters.
_____________________________________________

Indian Summer has arrived in NorCal. As I think I've stated previously, the most remarkable thing about living here is without question the weather. If you are come from the East or Midwest, you have to throw out all pre-existing notions of seasona and weather patterns. As example(s):

-- driving to my office, which is about 12 miles from my office, I generally encounter three separate microclimates, with temperature differentials as much as 15-20 degrees. You can drive from Chicago to St. Louis and generally experience the same exact weather pattern.

-- the next town over from us is on average, a good 10-15 degrees warmer. Note that it is located no more than 5 miles from our home.

-- As Mark Twain famously stated, August is one of the coldest months of the year. Fortunately, we had a pretty good August with the exception for the last week, but it is generally cold, windy and foggy.

-- That said, I think we've formally entered our Indian Summer. It's the damndest thing: September and October are two of the nicest months of the year, and it often extends into November as well (as Dave can attest to, it was about 80 degrees and blue skies last Thansgiving). Anyway, the last two days have been the hottest of the year (but note: there is ZERO humidity) and fingers crossed, I think we are in for a very strong stretch of good weather.

-- The rainy season lasts from December through until about the end of April. However, once it stops, we will experience literally ZERO rain. No summer thunderstorms or anything of the like. Maybe ... maybe ... a little precipitation in the mornings, but that is about the extent of it. However, I've learned this isn't necessarily a good thing: it makes us vulnerable to drought (which is impending if we don't have a good rainy season this year) and wild fires.

__________________________________________

Yankees sweep the Sox! Sweeter words could not possibly be uttered. I thoguht yesterday was the best possible game until today: Wang throws a no no through 7; Jeter goes 4-4; Chamberlain takes a cue from his mentor Clemens and goes headhunting (mark of a badass) and Cano goes yard twice.

Good times. I smell a fantastic September.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yesterday you were a navy seal;today a weatherman.maybe it,s the steroids.gs