Friday, August 10, 2007

The Day After The Day After

Thanks everyone, for the cascade of good wishes. My apologies for not getting back to many of you in a timely fashion: since my doctor's appointment on Wednesday I've been travelling non stop between San Diego (I love that City) and LA.

Now that the news has settled in a bit, I remain pretty upbeat, but I do have questions, the biggest being, how could two relatively renowned doctor's be so far apart in terms of their recommendations? The Wednesday appointment is the outcome I had been seeking, and my gut says this is the way to go, but in a certain sense, one of them is likely to be wrong. My father-in-law, who's a doctor himself, has a saying he uses frequently when asked medicine-related questions. He says, "who really knows?" when asked tough questions, and I always thought that might be him not knowing the answer, but now I realize he is 100 percent correct. The bottom line is doctor's examine the evidence, make suppositions based on the presented facts, and arrive at treatment based on this. The fact of the matter is, he's right -- at the end of the day, who really does know except for the Man upstairs?

Wow, that was existential.

One other thing as related to Cancer. Someone said to me the other day, "Congrats. You are cured!"

That's not how I am looking at things at all. Far from it. The way that I am perceiving this is that there's no present evidence of disease and as a result, we are going to take a wait and see approach. I am fully cognizant that I am one bad TG test away from being back to square one here (btw -- I get those results in a few short days). I'm an optimistic person in general, but the one thing I have learned about this is there's no monster more insidious than cancer, and it pays to keep an overall optimistic manner, tempered with a realistic dose of pragmatism (not sure if any of this makes sense, but please note I had a 18 hour days yesterday and my sleep addled brain isn't thinking very clearly).

The most ironic thing about all this health stuff is that I've never felt better. My training is going really well for the first time in years, and I am starting to feel really fit. And with that in mind, tonight officially kicks off Epic Training Weekend. Jeff arrives tonight and we'll kick things off with a pm swim, followed by our big day tomorrow: 20 mile bike followed by 4 mile run followed by 20 mile bike followed by 3 mile run. IF we are feeling good, we might throw in another 20 on the bike and 2 run. Sunday's workout is 1.5 hour masters swim followed by hour trail run.

How's that for Epic? Stay tuned for pictures.

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

ok well on the cancer issue! I'm right there with you! and actually felt relieved about what your Dr. said since that is the same approach my Dr. said. which i was unsatisfied with, but seems to be the standard of care. and i am not one to assume I am cured with one good dr. appointment and tests that may or may not be accurate. and while i am optimistic, i am realistic,about the potential for more surgery and more tests. and these are the times i wish we had a faster approach to cancer treatment. so sow, and just waiting for treatments to work and labs to find something. not that i wish i had a worse cancer that had a much faster treatment pace but there would have to be benefits to that.

sounds like epic training is insane! have a great time!

Crazymamaof6 said...

thyroid cancer teaches patience! and it is a SLOW pace. yea i had a typo in that last comment!