Sunday, August 26, 2007

The New, New Thing

One of my guity pleasures is the New York Times Sunday edition. I can't think of a weekend gone by without my Sunday Times. It's a great way to unwind at the end of the weekend, and there's something to learn in virtually every section. This weekend's big read was the cover of the Magazine section, which features one of my all-time favorite authors, Michael Lewis. The subject is fairly complicated but in a nutshell, it basically covers the quant jock hedge funds guys (or in the case of this article, guy, singular) who are responsible for setting pricing structures for natural disasters. In inimitable Michael Lewis fashion, he takes a fairly esoteric subject and makes it a fascinating read. If you have access to the Sunday magazine, it is a worthwhile read. For those of you who are unfamilar with Lewis, he's the author of Liars Poker, The New, New Thing, Moneyball (my personal favorite) and the Blind Side (my favorite book of 2006). All of them come very highly recommended,

______________________________________

Got my last big training weekend in: four consecutive heavy days that featured eCycling on Thursday, a 45 minute trail run on Friday night, a 50 mile bike/three mile run yesterday and 11 mile run today on very tired legs. I finished by running the last 3 miles at 7:20-7:30 pace and am feeling ready to rock and roll.

______________________________________

Took the Little Man to the SF Giant's game today; he's turning into quite the baseball fan. For all of you who may have been watching, yes, that was indeed us on the big board. I think it might have been the thrill of his young life.

______________________________________

I am almost embarrassed to say this -- ok, I am fully embarrassed with this one -- but the wife dragged me to the Nanny Diaries on Sunday night. Gents, you might want to declare girl's night if the Mrs. tries to do the same to you. That's all I gotta say on that topic. Even Scarlet Johnanson couldn't make this one palatable.

No comments: