Friday, August 31, 2007

Cool Music

We'll keep this post quick as it is 9:00 pm, the wife is out and I've got two ornery kids I need to put to sleep. Some father I am, eh? Anyway, I've got my hands on a ton of new music, some of which is pretty impressive. Here is a list of a few that get high recommendations:

Junior Senior "Hey Hey MY Yo Yo" -- Not sure how to even describe these dudes. IT's fun, lite hip hop in the spirit of the Beastie Boys, circa 1995. My supposition is that they started off as a goof, and one day realized they were pretty darn good.

Rilo Kiley "Under the Blacklight" -- I quote from The Week (which has decent record reviews and gave this one four stars) "a genre-busting disc that jumps from alt country to piano rock to disco and funk." I find this one gets more interesting with each successive listen.

Joan as Policeman "Real Life" Another female crooner in the spirit of Feist, St. Vincent et al. but this one makes for great EZ-airplane listening, and I think that the track "I Defy" is one of the best songs of the year.

Okkervil River The Stage Names" -- I guess alt country would come closest to describing these guys. if so, it's the first alt.country album I've ever liked. Real good and also seems to get bettter over time. Critics are calling this one one of the best albums of the year.

(Ps. I'll have you all know the kids are officially in bed now, though it does not appear as if sleep is on their short-term agenda).

MIA "Kala" -- The jury is still out on this British female rapper, but I am inclined to include it on this list as the cognescenti are absolutely in love with it. Upon first listen I found it irritating, but stay tuned for more.

____________________________________________________

I caved in and bought the Apple bluetooth earpiece earlier tonight. Expensive, as per usual with Apple, but it looks pretty cool. I'm on the phone a ton travelling to and from work, not to mention when I am on the road, so I don't have a hard time rationalizing the price (not that I've ever really struggled with rationalizing costs). Stay tuned for a review early next week.

____________________________________________________

Freaking Yankees. They weep the Red Sox and then get absolutely clobbered by the freaking Devil Rays. Par for the course with me and sports. And on that note, Michigan football kicks off tomorrow. Neil: we are still awating your analysis.

Have a great holiday weekend all.

No comments: