Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Navy SEALS

Despite my health issues of the past year, I feel like overall, I have led a very charmed life. If I were to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly the same. With one exception. Be prepared to laugh, but I really wish I had given the Navy SEALS a try out. I don't know exactly what it is, but I am borderline obsessed with the SEALS. I admire everything about them: their dedication, integrity, singular focus, conditioning, etc. I've read an enormous body of literature on the SEALS and while I am uncertain that I ever could have made it through BUDS camp (I *really* struggle in cold water, due in part to my low body fat) I would loved to have given it a shot. SEALS Hell Week makes Ironman look like a veritable walk in the park.

That all being said, I'm currently reading another book on the SEALS, one that is quickly moving up the best seller list. It's titled LONE SURVIVOR: THE EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT OF OPERATION REDWING AND THE LOST HEROES OF SEAL TEAM 10. I'm only halfway through it so I will reserve my full review until I am finished, but it's a fairly interesting read thus far. My only negative is that the author, Marcus Luttrell, is a tad too "rah rah" and a bit overly patriotic and the writing, while interesting, isn't terribly well edited. But again, it's an interesting story, and thus far comes recommended, particularly if like me, you are interested in military non-fiction.
____________________________

In other news, Yankees won again tonight. Rocket gets the win over Beckett, A-Rod hits his 44th home run, Johnny Damon gets a big hit and Mo Rivera comes and closes it out with four consecutive wins. If you are a Yankees fan, it simply doesn't get better than that. Yanks are now only six back, but I predict the gap is too big to close this late in the season (though I hope I am wrong). What's really key is securing a wild card spot.

Let's go Yankees!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and most importantly, cubs/brewers rubber game tonight. whether they win or lose, a thursday night cubs home game -- especially one of this magnitude -- is a rare treat.