Thursday, August 23, 2007

Magazines

Yesterday I wrote about Portfolio, which got me thinking about magazines. I'm a pretty voracious consumer of media, which I consider this an important part of my job. That said, I looked at my counter yesterday having recently returned from vacation, and was just stunned at how much space magazines occupy in our home. Then I got to thinking about our subscriptions. It's staggering. Here they are, in no particular order:

Ultra Runner
Triathlete
Men's Journal
Outdoors
Men's Vogue
Sports Illustrated
Time
Newsweek
The Week
Sport's Illustrated for Kid's (for The Boy, obviously)

Then there is The Wife's contribution:

Vogue
Travel and Leisure
Food and Wine
Parent's
Entertainment Weekly
Jane
Lucky
Self
Shape
Vanity Fair

Pretty impressive, ewh? Can anyone out there top that subscription wise?

As noted, these are merely the magazines to which we subscribe: other stalwarts which I generally buy at the newstand include New Yorker (my newest favorite), GQ, National Geographic, Runners World, and Inside Triathlon. Then there's the technology publications I read for work but for the purposes of this posting, we'll leave them out for now.

If I had to narrow down to five, they'd be: Time or Newsweek, Outdoors, New Yorker, GQ and Ultra Runner.

How's that for diverse?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do a pretty good job here, but it's mostly Wiley.

Economist
Business Week
New Yorker
Vanity Fair
Sports Illustrated
ESPN
Rolling Stone
Time Out Chicago
Newsweek
Fast Company
Wired

Me:
Gourmet
Bon Appetit
Saveur
Real Simple
New York

Then the newspapers, every day:
NYT
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Sun Times

Anonymous said...

HS you need to add the Economist. I'm sure Wiley agrees.

Anonymous said...

whats with your friends. noone mentioned playboy,hustler and any of the gay mens mags.gs

Anonymous said...

I forgot about Economist -- I read that religiously as well. Business Week too for that matter

Anonymous said...

IMHO, Esquire beats the hell out of GQ. Better writing, better fiction, better magazine.

One magazine the Goons turned me on to is Cooks Illustrated. They take no advertising, and do a fantastic job on recipes and testing of kitchen equipment. Very detailed and logical. I think it's the best food magazine out there.

If I'm not mistaken, Zolla reads this religeously. I think he also clips the recipes.

Anonymous said...

My only subscriptions are The Grand Rapids Press and Everyday Food. YUM!

Wife Wifely is wise to Martha Stewart Living, Blueprint, and about a thousand medical journals.

For me, I just borrow the magazines from my agency's library. There's no way I could manage subscriptions to:

TIME
Newsweek
Inc.
Fortune
Forbes
BusinessWeek
WIRED
Fast Company
NYTimes
WSJ
Freep
Trib