Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day

Today, unbeknownst to many, is Blog Action Day. From their web site:

On October 15th, bloggers around the web will unite to put a single important issue on everyone’s mind - the environment. Every blogger will post about the environment in their own way and relating to their own topic. Our aim is to get everyone talking towards a better future.

Slightly contrived, I recognize, but hey, I'm in PR and can recognize a fairly decent stunt when I see one, so kudos to those behind this. I'm not sure what to personally say about the environment. A couple of random thoughts:

1. for starters, I obviously recognize that this a huge issue - one which will grow increasingly significant in the future. That said, and again, in the spirit of candor, I don't think I/my family does our part. We can do better and this is something I will give more thought to

2. fortunately for us, we live in Marin County, which is probably the most environmentally aware part of America (people out here were environmentally conscious before it became in vogue) so there is an adequate compensating mechanism for the Solomon's. One of my neighbors in particular is really passionate about this subject: he drives not one but two electric vehicles (electric mind you -- not hybrids) and his house is completely solar. While he is a tad oreachy about it at times, he's a good guy (and a fellow survivor to boot) and I admire his passion for the cause

3. I'm very excited for Al Gore. I'm a huge believer in karma, and the fact that he's now was an Oscar and a Nobel Freaking Peace Prize while our President is mired in muck, is not lost to probably three quarters of the world. And without dipping my toes too deeply into political waters, I'd welcome another Gore run at the White House and would vote for him again in a second -- not that I think that's going to happen though.

Anyway, that's my short diatribe on the environment. In other news, I am writing this blog from the prone position, as I tweaked my back something fierce this weekend. I injured it two weeks ago while paddleboarding and must have
re-aggravated it either during my trail run on Saturday or while mountain biking yesterday. Boy, does lower back pain suck. I was literally walking around all today hunched over like an old man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon, Howard! Al Gore is the man... My Blog Action day post is HERE!!!