Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ironman Hawaii

This Saturday is Ironman Hawaii; the Super Bowl of triathlon. I love Hawaii and will most certainly follow as it unravels on Saturday, if only to watch how my friend Monique from Endurance does, but at the same time I'm pretty pissed off at the race.

A bit of background: it's long been my dream to race Ironman Hawaii. I've applied through the lottery every year for the past decade. Us mortals can only get in through the lottery system; 150 lucky individuals are chosen each year. The rest of the participants are the Gifted Ones, who qualify via posting incredible times at other races.

For the record, it's the only Ironman I'll ever do. I don't have the time or inclination for another Ironman distance race, but Hawaii would be motivating.

Anyway, I wrote a candid, personal letter to the race director back in March stating my cancer story and I still didn't get into race, which is fine, as I've never lived my life expecting favor or exemption, but I think the courtesy of a reply would have been nice. The favor of a response would have been the kind and humane thing to do and it wouldn't be bad business eithr, as I've previously spent hundred of dollars with the WTC (think of it as the Ironman "holding company.").

So that's why I am pissed. But that being said, I am sure I will apply to the lottery again next year.

That all being said, best of luck to all participants. Here's my predictions for the men's and women's races:

Men:
1. Chris McCormack
2. Faris Al Sultan
3. Mario VanHonecker (or however the hell he spells his name)
4. Luke Bell
5. Norman Stadler

Women:
1. Michellie Jones
2. Natascha Badmann
3. Joanna Lawn
4. Desiree Ficker
5. Main County's own Monique Petrov!

1 comment:

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow! that guy sucks ASS!! maybe you could get in with make a wish foundation to the iron man Hawaii, with your story! that is for kids though huh?! dang!