Monday, October 1, 2007

Music and Books

I am pretty exhausted and need to prepare for some more travels, so short post tonight.

I just ordered The Nine, by Jeff Toobin, who's an esteemed reporter with the The New Yorker (which is my new favorite magazine). I read a chapter while at the bookstore and it seems phenomenal; it's an inside look at the current Supreme Court members, and it examine how the court has taken shape over the past twenty years or so. It has received nearly across-the-board accolades and is considered the best "insider" look at the Court since Bob Woodward's acclaimed The Brethren. I have a feeling I will get through this one quickly and will post a more detailed review.

Couple of noteworthy new albums. I think I have previously mentioned the new Eddie Vedder album which is the Soundtrack to Into the Wild. I suggest purchasing this one immediately; it gets better with each listen.

Another one I highly recommend is the new Foo Fighters. I have never been the biggest Foo Fighters fan, but this one has captured my attention. It has received only lukewarm reviews, but upon two listens, I think it's pretty rocking and pretty darn solid. Sometimes the reviewers leave me utterly mystified.

The new Kanye West sounds great too. I'm expecting to pick this one up soon and will review in more detail, but suffice to say that the hit song, Stronger, is going to be the song of Fall/Winter.

Lastly, Springsteen's new album breaks tomorrow. Despite growing up in New Jersey I've never been a fan of the Boss until I saw him live a few years ago. Not sure if it was that show or if his songs resonate as I grow older, but I can say that I definitely appreciate him now as an artist and musician, and I'm excited to give this one a listen as well.

That's it for now.

No comments: