Monday, October 22, 2007

Random Thoughts

Couple of random thoughts, apropos of not much in particular:

Couple of cool things happened relative to this blog that I want to acknowledge. First, I was slightly flabbergasted (but in a good way of course) to learn that someone actually listens -- and purchases-- music, based on my recommendations. It's a small thing, I know, but it was very cool all the same and I discovered this by happenstance (checking out her iPhone during dinner). So, thanks Megan C -- you made my Friday night (of course your company was more than enough!). Second, my main man Finkel was cool enough to send me Season I of Friday Nights Lights via Amazon. Super cool of you Finkel and much appreciated. I intend to watch (and write about it) in the coming weeks.
_____________________________________________

This weekend was the Little Boy's eight birthday. Since when did little kid's birthdays become weekend-long extravaganzas? When I was a kid my father would give me five bucks and tell me to get a pack of smokes and baseball cards. Ok, not exactly but you get my point. The Boy's celebration lasted two freaking days and included:

-- High School Music on Ice, which you all know about
-- post-event lunch with a bunch of his buddies
-- sleep over with his main buddy
-- post game cupcakes with his entire baseball team (the little fella got his first hit of his season. Talk about birthday gifts!)
-- dinner at Benihana with his other main boy

On top of it, the little brat, er, fella, got a Nintendo Freaking WII. Granted, it's more for me, but still.

Anyway Little Boy, happy birthday. I love you very much.

____________________________________________

Sports continue to haunt me. Cleveland Freaking Indians choked so badly it's not even funny. I feel for their fans. They live in Ohio and have to deal with that loss for the rest of their days. Just kidding about the Ohio part, btw. Kind of, anyway. You still out there Joel??! Now y'all know how us Yankees fan feel circa 2004. Three years later and it still hurts.

So, the Red Sox are back in the World Series. And I am very afraid they are going to paste the Rockies. What a nightmare. Lord I hate Boston fans. And to make matters worse, they have the Patriots, too, who I am convinced are going to go undefeated (ok, that's going to be tough. But no way do they lose more than two games).

Oh well, at least I have my Wolverines.

I didn't just say that, did I?

______________________________________________

My back is still killing me. It's at the stage where I am borderline alarmed and am thinking about seeing an orthopedist. Since this is a "confessional" blog, I might as well confess to what's been on the back of my mind: I did have a spot of cancer, presumably, on my hip, and this back pain is in the same general region (far right side of the small of my back). I am sure that it's just sports-related, but one never really knows. Might be smart if I stopped running//biking/swimming for a few days but I never laid claim to being all that smart.

_____________________________________________

Speaking of not too smart, I'm headed to LA tomorrow for a day and half and have a business meeting not all that far from Malibu. That is, if Malibu is still standing come Tuesday, given how fast those wildfires are moving. I'll have more on this tomorrow.
_____________________________________________

Lastly, I have decided to dedicate one post a week to the subject of cancer. It can be personal, a new medical report, a guest blogger, anything, but I've strayed away a bit from the subject of this blog and I think I need to bring it back a little. That being said, I'l work hard to ensure that it doesn't become depressing or morose.

Over and out.

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

ok cool he got a wii! i was saddened and dismayed a game we bought for 50 bucks at the release of the wii last year is now 20 bucks at walmart! albeit a lame game but now cheaper than when i purchased it. LAME!

and on the cancer, i prefer to ignore it unless i have actual testing going on it is really easy to either second guess my treatment, or get depressed about the upcoming prospects it brings. and i choose to avoid it . but i can't wait to hear bout yours.

Anonymous said...

when did i ever give you 5 bucks for a birthday present? you must have that confused with my wedding gift.gs