Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Radiohead

I am just now back from New York and so tired that I can't see straight, so another short post tonight. As many of you music aficionado's know, Radiohead, one of the most influential bands possibly of all-time (more on that subject later) released a new album today. While that in and of itself is probably news, what's most interesting is the manner in which they released it. Being that they are no longer tied to a label, they posted the album for download to consumers, and offered a "pay as you please" model in which consumers can download it for free, or make whatever payment they so choose. I think Radiohead can get away with this because they have a loyal, almost cultish following, who will, in my opinion, inevitably choose to support the band for taking this unique risk. That said, despite what the prognosticators are saying, in my humble opinion I don't think this quite spells the end of the recording industry as we know it. Either way, it will be interesting to watch. In the meantime, while I'm personally not the biggest Radiohead fan, I do have the album and I intend to make a "payment." The amount of that, however, is still tbd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i also paid, and posted the first of what i'm sure will be a number of reviews here: http://www.rocktransferprotocol.com.