Sunday, October 7, 2007

New Obsession

As many of you are aware, I have a borderline obssesive/compulsive personality. Once I get into something I'm generally in pretty deep. To that end, every few years I get into a new sport and tackle it pretty intensely. First it was running. Then triathlons. Then I got bit by the ultra running bug. A few years ago I got *really* into kung fu, which I probably would have continued if I hadn't moved West. Well, after two years, I think I have a new sport. And it's pretty damn gnarly.

Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to paddleboarding.

My buddy Mark S, who's a serious surfer and all-around water guy (and an awesome guy to boot) turned me on to this and took me out yesterday. It was just killer, though I wish I had a westsuit of some sort, as that water is c-o-l-d.

The board is about 14 feet long, and super angular and aerodynamic. It has cushioning on the top third for comfort purposes and a waterbottle holder on the top. You lay down on it and ... paddle. Much like you would paddle out while surfing. That's it. The only thing is that the paddleboard is built for speed and with each stroke you get serious speed and distance.

We paddled around for about an hour and the perspective of the Bay Area you get from the water is, as you'd imagine, quite unique -- and beautiful. The only thing is that my back, shoulders and lower back are absolutely killing me: it requires muscle groups that I didn't even know I had.

So, though they are not exactly cheap, I'm going to order one of these suckers. You are all invited out to formally give one a try. If you like being on the water, you'll find it a ton of fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, you left out your "bowling" obsession. That was funny.

Hey, not knocking what I'm sure is a spectacular sport in paddleboarding, but prior to purchasing, hows about you try it again for a few times and see if you can fit it in with all the other obsessions? Oh, and the job and family.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

I have a different take than Payro. I'm in.

Anonymous said...

it,s a good thing you don,t know anyone who is into cow chip tossing.gs

Anonymous said...

That's true, GS, but the kid can definately sling some BS.

Crazymamaof6 said...

love the exchange from your dad and payro! hilarious! it totally needed a laugh! ah! so great! sounds like a good time! you should do some before and after shots of your back and arm muscles! after a few months you would probably see a change! not that it wouldn't ache in the process!