Thursday, October 18, 2007

Yankee Birthday

Saturday is the Little Boy's birthday. Two packages -- the first of many, I am sure -- arrived this evening. The first package was from the New York grandparents. Contents included:

Yankees hat
Yankees pennant
Yankees tattoos (?)
Yankees pen set
Yankees watch
Yankees pencil set

Package two frm the New Jersey grandparents, consisted of:

Yankees Derek Jeter shirt
Yankees magnet
Yankees baseball card set
Yankees Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter biographies for kids

Detecting a trend anyone? It is like Yankees freaking armegedeon in my house right now. Suffice to say, The Boy is maybe as stoked as I have ever seen him. And I am pretty psyched too. In fact, he's sleeping now and I'm thinking maybe this is a good opportunity to steal one of his Yankee pens.

On the topic of the Yankees, best wishes to Joe Torre; I wish him nothing but success and great happiness. He is a Yanklee forever. But please do me this one favor Joe and never agree to coach the Sox.

I think the offer the Yankees dangled in front of him today was a pretty lame move, and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with the Steinbrenner progeny. You can't offer a guy like Torre a pay cut; it's disrespectful, dishonorable and most especially, disengenuous. It was an offer they knew he had to refuse. If he had accepted it he would have lost tremendous respect in the clubhouse.

All that being said, while I respect all that he's accomplished, it's time for a new start in New York. While accountability certainly lies with the players first and foremost, I think three consecutive first round playoff eliminations speaks for itself. it's just time to try something new. It happens in business, in life and in sport.

Only thing is that I hope the Yanks do the right thing and bring in Donnie Baseball. That will go a long way towards ensuring some measure of continuity.

For the record, this will be my last Yankees-related post of 07.

Promise.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude, I lost interest in NY baseball when the Dodgers left.

Anonymous said...

As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I will personally always think of Torre for his glory days playing in St. Louis! P.S. Be sure to wish The Boy a happy birthday from us!