Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Male Bonding

So, as I noted yesterday, I bought the Little Boy a Wii for his birthday. In the spirit of candor, I actually bought the damn thing about seven months ago (!), but I was too afraid to open it, as I didn't think he (or his siter for that matter) was quite mature enough to handle a videogame and I didn't want it to interfere with his homework.

That being said, as his birthday aproached, I figured it would make a pretty darn special birthday gift. Only time will tell if he is in fact "ready" but it does come with some very major caveats: no Wii-ing until after his homework and other activities are complete and only a half-hour a day, max.

Ok, now that I've stated the groundrules, hot damn is that thing fun. We got it set up last night and wowza -- I might have to limit myself to half hour a day. We played the Sports package (baseball, tennis, boxing, golf and bowling) and each game is better than the previous.

Last night was a good time. After we finally got this thing set up (we experienced some technical difficulties, but as usual, The Engineer, aka, The Wife, figured it out) it was late, so we sent The Boy and the Girl to bed, with the Boy in particular skulking that he couldn't play more.

I was pretty anxious myself to play with it and noticing that the Mom/Wife was on the phone downstairs, I figured what the hell: I tiptoed into his room and told him to silently make his way into the den so that we could play a game or two together.

The look on his face was one of pure joy.

It was hilarious, he was SO stoked but at the same time was trying to be as quiet as possible, which isn't exaclty easy for an eight year old. Every time we heard his mother rustling downstairs, he made a beeline for his room in order not to get caught.

Anyway, we got into an intense game of tennis (the kid's got game!) and weren't paying attention and we got stone cold busted by The Sheriff. The look on his face was a mix between complete amusement and utter fear.

Anyway, after a stern look and a moment of quiet, mom relented and joined in on the fun before we sent him off to bed at the very late (for a schoolnight) hour of 9:30 pm.

I got into a bit of trouble myself but it was well worth it; sometimes -- only sometimes, Dear Wife -- rules are meant to be broken.

And I simply could not think of a better boys night out if I tried.

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

it is always the dads breaking the rules for video games.

i am a far better wii bowler than in real life. i kick-A at boxing too! really you could have a fabulous time with just wii sports. Excite truck is a fave of the men in my life, and trauma center is borderline lame. while pretending to do surgery is cool-ish, i thought it was a tad high stress for me. but then again I was in hypohell the one time we played it, and my hand eye coordination was sorely lacking while my reaction time was delayed resulting in a dead patient. it is only one player and not for kids.
if i had it to do again I'd rent before i bought. some games are just lame. and we have purchased our share of games and only a few are truly fun.

Anonymous said...

Wii is indeed the greatest video game system ever created.