Monday, February 18, 2008

The Flu

So, of course, my luck being what it is, the flu strikes me the moment I leave my house for Hawaii. Actually, it struck the night before. I knew it was going to be bad and the plane ride was really rough; I felt like I was getting worse by the minute. I genuinely feel bad for the poor woman who was sitting next to me. She knew I was sick and she knew there was absolutely nothing she could do; she was stuck with my sorry ass for the next five hours. I sincerely hope I didn't ruin her vacation.

We landed and I was in a really bad way. Tne wife took my temperature and it was 102.7. I was exposed to pneumonia through a colleague and I thought for sure that's what I had; it was bad enough that I had to find a doctor on a Sunday, no small feat in Maui.

One funny story: I was lying in our cabana taking a nap and was quasi delirious. I looked over to the guy next to me and thoght to myself that he looked exactly like Newt Gingrich. Two minutes after I noticed this someone came over and asked if they could shake his hand; it was indeed the former Speaker of the House. He was reading a book about Ronal Reagan, surprise, surprise. Pretty cool.

Anyway, turns out I had the flu. It broke last night and it was gnarly: it literally soaked through the bed and two pillows. I haven't sweated like that since Ironman in 1999. I still feel like crap but I am orders of magnitude better than Sat and Sunday. Of couse, now the Wife and Boy are feeling it too, but not nearly to the same extent.

Fun vacation so far.

Actually, now that I am feeling better it is a fun vacation. Hawaii is just beautiful.

One other cool thing. At the pool today we met a young pitcher with the Dodgers. The Boy is the biggest baseball fan ever and he was stoked to put it mildly. He was a super cool guy. He told the Boy he didn't start pitching until he was 11. the Boy was cute; he told him he hoped he won 20 games this year. His first name was Paul; can't remember his last.

Anyway, I am in the game room typing away on the free Internet (they charge 14 bucks a day for wireless!)and the boy wants to play so I gotta run.

More later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope I didn't hex you big man.

Anonymous said...

at the airport. temperature. anally or orally?gs

Anonymous said...

I met Mr. Newt when I worked at Fleishman. He was in town for a big speech, which was unbelievable. 1:30 with no notes AND it was cohesive.

Best.

Anonymous said...

Bummer about the flu. Hope you all are feeling better asap, and can enjoy the rest of the week!