Sunday, July 20, 2008

Random Thoughts

Ok, I am currently watching episode four of Mad Men and it is slooowwww moving. I will chalk it up to character development, but I am still waiting for some action.

Speaking of which, and tangentially on the same subject, Generation Kill, the new seven-part HBO series, has serious potential.

Still trying to figure out why I wore a freaking down jacket a good portion of the weekend. Down jacket in July; only in San Francisco. I've come to learn that the old Mark Twain adage about this place is true; you need to get yourhead around the fact that the weather here, is ... weird. I might be here for 20 years (I'm currently approaching year three) and I'm not sure if I will ever have my head fully wrapped around the weather.

The new Hold Steady album is very, very good. Cross between Springsteen, the Clash and others. Pitchfork gave it an 8.4 and I think it's at least that good.

The Tour de France turned into a real race today less than a minute separates the first six riders. CSC team, comprised of the Schleck Brothers and Carlos Sastre looks particularly strong. Vandevelde is is still hanging tough and at this stage of the game, it's really anyones race. I think this might be settled on Alpe d'Huez on Wednesday, which would be pretty epic.

Lastly, I think I have figured out the iPhone battery issue, to the best extent possible: you just have to turn everything off (3G, GPS, Wifi) when travelling and switch it on when needed. Even under these circumstances it is still sub-optimal, but it is what it is.

No comments: