Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Album of the Year (Thus Far)

I listen to a ton of music. Without getting into all details, I am fortunate to have a group of friends who share voluminous amounts of music from today's new artists. So, I think I have a pretty good handle on what's new, what's hot and what's not. To be candid and in my humble opinion, a majority of this music doesn't really resonate with me for a variety of reasons, chief among them, the fact that I am, well, old.

But then every so often I find something that I really like. And even more rarely -- like once a year, maybe, if that -- I will find something that absolutely blows me away.

Well, I have found that "something". I present to you Feed the Animals, the new LP (if you can call it that) from Girl Talk. I am not sure exactly how to describe this; you might want to read the linked to the Pitchfork review (good luck getting through their pretentious writing) or go to the review on www.rollingstone.com.

Girl Talk is unlike anything I have heard; it's basically a DJ who samples song after song after song -- ranging from pop favorite to songs of the 60's and 70 to Twisted Sister to Radiohead to Jay Z and countless others -- in a continual loop. There is a Wikipedia posting that lists all of the samples in each of his songs. Check out this link when you get a chance.

Anyway, he interlaces a consistent beat that runs through the entire thing and well, there's no way I can do this one justice: you need to hear it yourself to believe it. It is completely original and brilliant. If you happen to make this purchase, trust me and give it ten minutes before making a judgement; at first it is almost discombobulating in nature, but once you get your head around the hooks/samples, you will be hooked in completely.

Trust me on this one; I have been listening nonstop for three days and it only gets better with each successive listen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am going to trust you on this one and will order it without even listening to a track. vrs

Anonymous said...

but i can't find it... help

Anonymous said...

I don't know about Album of the Year, but have to admit GirlTalk is probably the most fun I've had listening to music all year.