Monday, July 28, 2008

Second Annual Run for Thyroid Cancer

A friend emailed me today and asked if I was going to do another Run for Thyroid Cancer. One word answer: absolutely! That was the event of the year last year, so far as this blog was concerned and I hope you agree that we all had fun in the process.

For all two of you new readers (what up, Rookie?) the premise is simple: I pick a date, and we all use that as an opportunity to do some form of physical activity. You can do a half ironman, like I did last year, or you can bike a mile with your kids. Distance is meaningless; it's about getting out there and enjoying the day. And oh -- sending me a photo in the process that I can in turn post on these here pages. That is a "must".

Last year I didn't ask for a penny from anyone and made a group donation to ThyCa, the premier thyroid cancer organization. This year, I have something else in mind, which I will announce in the not-so-distant future. And if anyone has any suggestions, please email me offline.

In the meantime, let's start with a date. I'm thinking of shooting for the same exact weekend as last year: September 6 and 7th.

So, roll call please. Please "announce" your self and your intentions.

I'll get the ball rolling. I'm thinking of something somewhat gnarly. How about 20 mile trail run?

Who's next?

13 comments:

Rookie said...

Awesome idea. I'm in for a 15 mile run (road/trail)
gm

Anonymous said...

Comcast Sucks (if they don't run). Let's see if they respond to that.

Anonymous said...

Yep. I'll match your 20 on trails.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow ultrarunner and thyroid cancer survivor (as I've told Howard - and which is how I found this blog - I had a thyroidectomy 3/20/08 to remove papillary thyroid cancer), I promise to do at least 20 miles (which will fit into my training for a six hour race on Sept. 20!) All the best Howard, let me know if I can help in any way.

Unknown said...

3 mile swim - you still planning on joining me for Big Shoulders in Chicago that weekend? -Dave

Anonymous said...

will at least double last year's 15 mile bile ride, and will also double amount of beers consumed post-ride.

Unknown said...

I'm in. And, if you are running locally, I will be there in person!!!! :-)

Shan in LA said...

Right in the thick of Chicago training. It's on my schedule to run 20 miles on the 7th. :)

Unknown said...

I am not a runner, swimmer or biker, so I'll be completing the walkathon portion of the the event! I'll have to put together a route in and around Manhattan.

Melissa Boehning Libert said...

We can manage moderate exercise. We'll be walking Constitution Trail so Central Il is covered.

Anonymous said...

count me in for 70.3! i'm doing big kahuna again this year... join me again? who are my kids going to 'hang out with' on the beach down by the pier : )

Anonymous said...

I'll commit to a 20 miler.

Anonymous said...

I'm in for the Lung Run in Chicago on September 6th. 5k, but its the thought that counts.