Wednesday, July 16, 2008

TV Time

Only have time for a short post tonight as I am getting set to head to LA early in the am (three days after returning from, LA. I think this marks 20 trips to LA alone this year).

Anyway, with the exception of the Tour de France, and in a month, the Olympics, there is literally nothing worth watching on TV. And as you know, that's no good. I'm a junkie in need of a fix. SO, I am prepared to commit to a "series" that could hopefully carry me through to mid-August or so. I've thus far narrowed it down to The WIre and Mad Men and need help making a decision.

Multiple people have told me that The Wire is the best show they have ever seen, hands down. I expect it to be expect. The downside: I think it will require my undivided attention, which is difficult, given my late onset adult ADD. Also, it runs four seasons deep and given my equally obsessive compulsive nature, I am concerned I will ignore The Wife, Children, eating and running in pursuit of watching them all in as compressed a timeframe as possible. So -- that's The WIre.

Everyone tells me that Mad Men is almost equally terrific, albeit not as "evolved" perhaps as The Wire. Also, it's only one season, which is manageable. Lastly, it seems a little lighter, meaning I could watch and blog, read, play with my iPhone, yell at the kids, etc. etc. So, unless anyone can do some convincing, Mad Men has the early edge.

All that being said, I am open to other recommendations as well. Californication? Friday Night Lights (with a nod to Finkel)? Let me know if you have any thoughts or comments and don't be shy. This blog has been decidedly short on comments of late.

11 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

i don't have any insight to any TV. but with the way you spelled it out. I'd vote for mad men.

i don't ever watch TV these days. i waste my evenings blogging, to keep up with my google reader.
and i guess I've gone longer without commenting here than i thought, i went back to look. I've been reading, but how much can i say about topics i know nothing about?

i did check out GirlTalk and liked
it.

and series wise , I'm wanting to check out The Tudors but haven't yet.

Anonymous said...

Have you watched FNL yet dumbass? Rescue Me and The Shield.

Anonymous said...

I loved Mad Men, but my husband (also a multi-tasker) found it "slow." But if you're into "period pieces" (the production design with all of its 60s cultural references was the highlight for me) you'll like it. There is also a lot of humor within the social commentary....

Anonymous said...

Pap is watching the whole series of the Wire. We order it fron Netflix. He loves it. Nana

quirken said...

t

Anonymous said...

Papa is watching the whole series of the "Wire". We order it from Netflix. He really loves it...NANA

Anonymous said...

Mad Men is good not great. The agency scenes are great but I never really got the whole domestic thing. The Wire, however, is an epic show. Friday Night Lights is good - although a little "after school special-ish" where the cover the teen topic du jour.

The Wire. No doubt.

Or go back to Rome and tough out the 1st 2 episodes. Once that show clicks (and it will) you will be totally hooked.

U watch Generation Kill yet?

Anonymous said...

I loved Californication. Its funny, entertaining, and has a good story. Also the episodes are short and its only one season. You could probably watch it without your full attention and still enjoy it. I think you will like this one Howard.

I also love Friday Night Lights however I grew up in the same football is as important as religion area of the US so this one holds some personal nostalgia for me and may not do it for you. That being said, the character development and story are great.

I design the website for one of the DP's (director of photography) for Mad Men and I have to say it is beautifully shot. The teasers I've seen make it look interesting but I don't know much else about it.

Rome is great too. B and I loved this show and were bummed it was taken off the air. You should also check this out sometime.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing the same with Battlestar Galactica. Pretty effing excellent.

Anonymous said...

Mike and I are all about The Wire. We just made it through the 4th season and love it. Also I am a big fan of The Shield.
Penny

Anonymous said...

Anyone who's in marketing should watch Mad Men, and I think you fall into that bucket. It's hands down one of the top five shows in production (as is its sister show on AMC, Breaking Bad). AMC is quickly becoming the new HBO.