Sunday, December 21, 2008

40!

Happy 40th birthday to The Wife. She is a great wife and an even better mom, and I hope she's having a good day.

To celebrate, we woke up early - if not a bit slowly- this morning after a terrific holiday party at our friends house. We immediately headed into the City, so that the kids could run a mile race and the Wife, a 5k. I was reduced to bystander, which was just fine by me.

Warning that I am going to sound like an obnoxious parent for a paragraph or two, but I cannot express how impressed I am with my Kids. I ran the mile with them and the Boy started off so fast I literally could not keep up, so I sat back with the Girl. At the half mile mark I noticed faltering a bit, so I sped up and ran with him. He picked it up big time at the end and finished in an amazing time of 6:56. That's fast for an adult, let alone a kid. He ended up winning the 12 and under division (and he's only nine!) by more than a minute. The Girl cruised it in and as she was approaching the finish, people were going bananas for her; she's so tiny and cute. She ended up finishing second in the female 12 and under, in an time of 8:07, which is pretty amazing considering she is only six!

I think they have discovered their sport; two people came up to me after the race to tell me that I had to get her in a junior track program. And to close off a nice morning, the Wife finished in 29 minutes, which for her is a great time. And she did it in a driving rain to boot. All in all, a good, fun day for the Solomon's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those times are simply unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

it took me longer to read the blog. congrats to both kids. they are the greatest.gs