Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Governor Blagojevitch

I'm a fervent consumer of media, but every so often a story comes along that utterly obsesses me; that happened this week with the breaking news about Governor Rod's arrest.

A little background. I have a close friend who's a fairly major player in Illinois politics. As a result, having lived in Chicago for nearly ten years, I have some to become somewhat of a student of Illinois politics, for no other reason than it's so darn interesting. And as a result of my relationship with my friend, I have also come to meet several of the players, including our President Elect and Governor Rod.

I met Rod twice. The first time I was a sponsor of a fundraiser in his honor, back when he was a Congressman. The second time I met him was at his inauguration; I was actually in the VIP area sitting not for than a few feet away from him and his family for a good portion of the night. It was a very exciting evening.

Over the years, though, I've heard the whispers -- hushed and not so hushed -- from a number of different people, all claiming that he was a tier one jerk (my word, not theirs).

And then this news breaks, yesterday. If you haven't read the indictment, I suggest you do. It reads like a modern day greek tragedy and if true, is one of the more astonishing stories that I have ever read and a black mark on the face of Illinois politics that will last for a very long time, despite even the halo effect of our new President-elect.

I could go on for a long time on this subject and I probably will write on this again, but the lesson here is that regardless the man or his or station in life, hubris and greed truly are the great equalizers in life. It is astonishing to me how they can reduce a man from Governor in one day, to abhorred monster the next.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

see spitzer.gs

Anonymous said...

As a NYorker, I agree re: Spitzer (voted for him, was happy when he won, totally disappointed with his behavior to say the least...)

Unknown said...

I've been obsessed with this too, which is why I don't understand why you're "astonished," Howard. Blow-goldfish has been one of the most corrupt, hated and unpopular politicians since he took office.

What I find as an amazing coincidence is the denial that both he and Spitzer share at the time of their scandals breaking. How long did it take for Spitzer to finally resign?

Criminals.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the great governor from NJ - Jim McGreevey. these politicians are nothing but narcissistic crooks!! with no dignity or class whatsoever! Who will be next?