Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Garmin

It was pretty ironic that after defending the (relatively) new Garmin 405 to Wiley and Nick for three consecutive days, it failed me most by locking up completely at mile 18 and failing to reboot.

In the grand scheme of life, it's obviously not a big deal, but when you are using something to pace yourself through a race you have prepared for meticulously for three damn months, it's not a lot of fun when technology fails you completely. I probably sound whiny, I get that, but I was using this thing to pace myself and keep an eye on my time and I had no backup, short of Wiley. I don't want to say it ruined my race - my legs failed me worse -- but it surely didn't help matters.
As Wiley can attest it knocked me completely off my game mentally and energy-wise, and I was *very* close to taking it off my wrist and pitching it into the concrete.

Just not sure how a product - and a fairly expensive one at that -- designed for a specific sport can fail so miserably .. while doing that sport.

Anyone at Garmin care to offer an explanation?

No comments: