Monday, December 22, 2008

Weather


I am going to sound horribly obnoxious in this post, but so be it.

As a relative newcomer to California, people ask me all the time whether I miss the four seasons of the East Coast, snow in Chicago in December etc. etc. My answer? A resounding freaking no.

Honestly, if I never saw snow again in this lifetime, I am not sure I'd care. Sure it's pretty to look at, sure it's fun to cross country ski, sure it's fun to play in (if you are under the age of 10, that is) but there's one major issue: by definition, it is accompanied by cold weather. And cold weather, ladies and gentlemen, blows. Sorry, but I have to say it.

This morning I woke up to the news, where the report was live from Chi-town, where with wind chill it was thirty below zero.
We turned the channel and reports were coming in live from the Northeast, Pacific Northwest, Midwest, replete with major snowstorms, freezing colder weather, plane cancellations, etc. etc. With this in mind I did what I had to do: grabbed the boy, threw our bikes in the car (actually, just his bike) and went for a bike/run. You'll note the boy is wearing a sweatshirt and gloves; it was a brisk 57 today but he took this all off at mile 2 of our six mile bike/run. Afterwards, we went mini golfing for a few hours.

All that being said, I will state for the record that Bay Area Weather isn't exactly all that, but man: I will take 57 any day over minus 30. Sorry, but human beings simply aren't supposed to live like that. Again, apologies for being obnoxious, and for ending so many sentences with prepositions, but I gotta tell it like it is.

(Plus, I am waging a massive California-recruiting campaign in regards to one of my buddies, so consider this a not-so-thinly veiled message at him in particular).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember someone complaining about the fog a few years ago! But I'm so glad that you've seen the light and understand that fog, is a lot better than that lovely Chicago weather. (And, it always dies down by mid-day.)

Anonymous said...

It was 19 degrees in Queens, NY today...freezing the slush from the snow a few a days ago...so 57 sounds good to me! Enjoy...

Anonymous said...

when the big one hits and calif is seen drifting away from the mainland ;let's talk then.gs

Crazymamaof6 said...

your dad is hilarious!

AZ has lovely weather this time of year. but i completely agree i could never live where it's 30 below! INSANE. i'm dying here because it's 53.