Monday, December 8, 2008

Well, That's Over

So, the bottom line is I didn't qualify. I was on a pretty good pace up through mile 21 when the wheels came off, and when the wheels come off, there isn't anything you can do. I finished in 3:25, which, all things considered is a pretty good time and the best part about the day was that I finished holding hands with my buddy Wiley (yes, I know how that sounds, but when you run 26.2 miles together, prodding each other through highs and lows - and we both had plenty - it's like you become a band of brothers).

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend and I have no regrets whatsoever. I've become very zen about all this stuff in my post-cancer world and all that matters is that you give it your best effort, and there's no doubt I did so.

I think Nick and Wiley would agree that we had a kick ass weekend; in fact, we had more fun than I expected. Those two didn't even know one another but left fast friends. Everything was totally cool from the hotel in Sacramento, to meeting up with a colleague for dinner, to hanging out at the Expo, to taking the bus the 26 miles to Folson to the race and post race. I suspect I will remember the weekend much longer than I will my race time.

Wiley did exceptionally, finishing his first marathon in ten years, as noted, in a time of 3:25, which best his previous best by more than a half hour. I coach Nick and he had a disappointing Chicago marathon, whoch had everything to do with the hot weather and nothing to do with his running ability. He came into this race with something to prove, which is exactly what he did with a fine time of 3:56. I am very proud of both of them.

I was very well trained thanks to coach Phil, but probably could have benefitted from one more 20 miler. Not to make excuses, but this fall was difficult with sundry weddings and bachelor parties, and I think my legs were lacking one more long one (my last one was more than four weeks ago, which is a tad too long). Considering that, I am happy.

And though I absolutely hobbling today -- and I mean hobbling -- I am giving VERY strong consideration to running the Phoenix Rock N Roll marathon next month. I know how that makes me sound but here's my rationale: it's only five weeks away (and hopefully I should be recovered by then) and I think I still can go a few minutes faster. I think a tough long run such as yesterday would make a huge difference and I have free Southwest flights to burn. Given my fitness level and what I have invested in all this training already, what's a few more weeks and a little more suffering?

I know ... crazy.

Anyway, that's that. Tomorrow stay tuned for a little diatribe about my Garmin 405, which failed me miserably. Will be interesting to see if they pay attention to this posting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I think that is an absolutley awesome time. I can only aspire to do that well (when I get in shape to do another Marathon). My PR was NY two years ago - 4:16. My goal is to break 4 hrs. You are a motivation and an inspiration to all runners. Again, congrats on an awesome achievement that only a small # of people can lay claim to.
gm

Anonymous said...

3;25 sounds pretty good to me. i take naps longer than that.gs

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Howard! Under 3:30 is more than respectable...and something I haven't been able to do my last two marathons...I think the ultras do slow one down, at the very least get you used to running longer but slower....since I'm fighting injuries now, I won't be able to try another marathon any time soon.. :(