Monday, December 15, 2008

Games

My Kids are at the fun age where they can play "real" games and I'm not talking Chutes and Ladders et al. The Little Girl struggles a little as she's only in first grade, but she puts forth a noble effort. The Boy? Let's say he's a very quick study. Thus far our three favorite "go to" games are Yatzee (great for the entire family; helps hone strategy and math skills), Monopoly (my person favorite; a little long for the Kids, though the Little Boy loves horse trading properties) and Stratego, which is a timeless classic. And yes, I will once again go on record saying I dominated Stratego in the 80's. Fire away, Michigan boys.

Anyway, those are our three stalwarts, but I am absolutely open to other suggestions. Feel free to offer up any other recommendations; we need activities for the upcoming holidays.

(And oh, my least favorite? Anything having to do with the Wii?. Not that I am opposed to Wii -- it's a ton of fun -- but The Boy in particular is consumed by it, to the point where it's become a bit of a problem as relates to him homework. For all you on-the-fence Wii buyers: my personal recommendation is to proceed with caution)

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

what about skip bo? it's fun.

i love our wii. but we have rules about homework done, chore, and 30 minutes of outside play first.
they have free reign after that,for computer,wii and TV. and lately they've been playing tons of guitar hero. but they've gone months without even turning the wii on. since the big boys like playing lord of the rings online more.

Anonymous said...

My 10-year old son also likes Stratego (we have my husband's old version, must be from the 60s by the look of it!); also "The Game of Life" and Monopoly Jr. (Shrek version that he got as a gift....it goes faster than the grownup version, although we've played that too...)

RE: The Wii -- we got it over the summer for for my son's birthday after much negotiating, and after the novelty wore off he was a little less "consumed"...he plays it more when his friends come over than by himself (sometimes with Mom and Dad)...his favorite thing lately is MY laptop, so I guess that will come next....

Anonymous said...

Risk is my favorite. You really need a third player and I'm not sure if the girl is yet interested in world domination (that will come soon enough.) You might have to recruit Ape.

Anonymous said...

Rummikub

-TB