Friday, December 14, 2007

Blunnies

Another confession: I am a dude who likes to shop for clothes. I am arguably worse than my wife. Which is saying something. I think I got this habit from my father of all people, who is a bit of a clotheshorse himself. I think it's in our genetics: my Grandpa Willie was one natty dude. Unlike my old man, however, I am know for actually buying and wearing new clothes (that is kind of an inside joke that I will save for another day).

Anyway, I like all clothes, but I've really got a thing for shoes. I read once that a gentleman is judged by his watch and shoes; the rest is superfluous. I've taken those words of wisdom to heart; I'll post another time about my watch obsession.

That all being said, I had a friend and training buddy back in my Chicago days named Aussie Tom. He was/is a great dude and he's back in Australia now. He's known to frequent this site from time to time. If you are reading this Tom, hope all is well, 'mate. We all miss you very much.

Anyway, I vividly recollect Tom waxing almost poetic about his Blundstones, which he called "the national shoe of Australia." Even though they are a boot, he told me in Australia they wear them everywhere and anywhere: from weddings to hikes, with formal wear and with shorts.

So last winter I was looking for a good waterproof boot and I stumbled on a store than carried "Blunnies" (as Tom referred to them). I later found out that they were one of two stores in the Bay Area to carry them.

They looked pretty sharp and I thought it would be a great way to remember my boy Tom, so I purchased them. They took about a week to break in, but man oh man was Tom right -- they are just about the best shoe/boot I have ever owned. They look awesome with jeans and/or khaki's, they are tremendously comfortable and they are virtually indestructible.

So all you dudes out there (and ladies too - I am pretty sure they carry them in ladies sizes); if you are in the market for a pair of boots to get you through the Winter (and fall or spring for that matter), I strongly suggest you find your local Blundstone retailer.

I like them so much I'm going to get another pair for myself this weekend in brown.

Good call Aussie Tom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh boy.what,s next-ladies underwear?gs