Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Top Ten Albums of 2007

Here it is: my first "Best Of" posting of the holiday season. Next up after this is "Best Products" followed by "Best Books." But first, let's address music.

Before I get into my list, a bit of background and a few caveats:

1. I will be the first to admit my musical tastes are somewhat primitive. I grew up in the days of The Clash and punk rock. Lyrics -- and the power of the music -- are more important to me than nuance and complexity.

2. As a corollary to the above, and simply put: I like music that rocks.

3. 90 percent of the time in which I am listening to music, I am doing so either while on my Computrainer or while running. Therefore, 90 percent of the time I like to listen to music that is inspirational and keeps my legs moving. The other 10 percent of the time I am listening to music while on a plane. In those instances I am generally looking for music that will help lull me to sleep.

So with that as a backdrop, without further ado, my top ten:

10. Yeasayer: All Hour Cymbals.

I've only started to listen to this one over the past few weeks, but I am enjoying it immensely; so much so that I suspect that within the next few weeks it will move its way up this list. I sincerely don't know how to even beging to describe these dudes (I presume they are dudes) but they have a really interesting, captivating sound. Pitchfork describes them thusly, "Packed with similar moments of walls of pan-ethnic spirituality filtered through walls of echo and layers of gossamer synch." Classic Pitchfork pretentious bullshit. Would someone kindly explain me what in the hell "goassamer sych" means?! But I digress.

9. Black Kids: Wizard of Ahhs

I almost did not include this one because it is really just a three or four song EP, but holy smokes are those few songs fun. They've got a ton of deserved buzz on the Internet and I cannot wait to hear their full feature album, which will hopefully be out next year. I think you can download this one via their MySpace page.

8. Jay Z: American Gangster

Jay-Z is back in the house after his last album, which was a tad weak. I thought I was going to rate this one higher, but having listened to it for more than a month, I am starting to realize that the annoying songs outweight the good. That said, the good ones are very, very good.

7. Linkin Park: Minutes to Midnight

A lot of you probably view Linkin park as a bit declasse, but I don't care. They freaking rock and Chester has a voice like no other. This is far from their best work, but it is still very solid. And I will alsways say this much: when I am suffering on the bike or getting ready to race, nothing gets me inspired like the Park.

6. Perry Farrell: Ultraloaded

I am an unapologetic Jane's fan and I will eternally hold Perry in high regard, even if he is a full on freak (and a bit annoying at times as well). I am mystified why this one didn't get better reviews. It is typical Perry: fun, experimental and a bit goofy. But it has moments of sheer brilliance. I thought it was utterly disrespectful that Pitchfork didn't have the courtesy of reviewing this album.

5. Feist: The Reminder

What can you say? This one is a classic. Perfect for said airplane, as mentioned above. I predict this one will win lots and lots of Grammy's and will be on nearly every music reviewers top 10 list.

4. Les Savy Fav: Let's Stay Friends

Another one that I can't really describe, but that's super listenable from start to finish. In a weird kind of way, they remind me somewhat of early Clash. Speaking of The Clash, the Joe Strummer biopic that is garnering critical acclaim is available to Comcast customers via On Demand. It starts a bit slowly but picks up steam and is highly recommended.

3. Daft Punk: Alive 2007

My main man Beno said this one doesn't count because it is a live album, but I don't care. This is arguably the best freaking techno album of all-time and is without question, the current number one in my rotation. If I had the benefit of a few more weeks, I dare say it would be number one. It is nuanced, fun, funny and stone cold rocking. I know some of you have puchased this on my recommendation and are unsure (Dave, Todd, et al). All I can say is give it another shot and listen to it straight through.

2. Eddie Vedder: Into the Wild

A seminal album by Eddie and one that positions him as the heir apparent to The Boss. An instant classic that gets better and more rich with each listen.

1. Radiohead: In Rainbows

One word: brilliant. I've always wanted to be a Radiohead fan, but just didn't fully get what all the fuss was about. I do now: this is the album showed me the way.

Other notables: Burial, Untrue (not sure of what to make of this still but boy oh boy is it interesting); Pinback, Autumn of the Servant; Joan as Policewoman, Real Life; Robert Plant and ALison Kraus, Raising Sand (will also win lots of Grammy's and I predict this one will be on literally every reviewer's top ten list), Justice, Kanye West, The Graduation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw "Into the Wild" this weekend. Great movie. All the acting was excellent, except Emile Hirsch, who was very good but not great.

I'm in with the Daft Punk skeptics...

Anonymous said...

golden goose
nike travis scott
jordan shoes
bape hoodie
golden goose outlet
birkin bag
off white hoodie
kevin durant shoes
cheap jordans
golden goose outlet