Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Happy Hanukkah

Happy Hanukkah everyone.

As some fo you might know, the hard truth that Hanukkah is, according to the Jewish religion, a "minor" holiday, I like it all the same; more so now that I have kids. Part of its appeal is that it (obviously) fits in squarely with the holiday season. I also like the accompanying "pageantry": the lighting of the candles, watching the kids play dreidel, reciting the story of Hanukah (and for the record: this is about as "religious" as we get) and the little game we play each evening in which the kids hunt for their gifts.

So ... for the most part it is all good.

Which brings me to the part that I don't really like. The presents.

Now don't get me wrong. I like presents just as much as the next guy. And my kids certainly like presents. And I like giving my kids presents.

But eight nights in a row is simply too much. And that excludes presents from both sets of grandparents. No kid really needs that many presents. I don't mean to sound like the holiday Scrooge, but the bottom line is that it really spoils the hell out of my kids (anyone experience the same?). Come the "ninth" night (and for the record there is no such thing as a ninth night) the kids are lined up, expecting their next toy. I much prefer Christmas: get it all over with in one fell swoop.

Anyway, this year we are going to do something a little different. We are going to celebrate seven nights, and on the eight night we are going to donate our toys to a local charitable organization.

It's not much, but it's better than nothing and hopefully the kids will understand the lesson (thought they sure didn't sound happy about the idea tonight).

(Ps. Tonight the Boy got a Rubick's cube and a pack of baseball cards; the Girl got a doll set replete with bed, high chair and stroller, and I got a decanter. Alas, the Wife struck out but hopefully I'll make it up to her tomorrow -- or some time soon).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally in the same boat on the gifts thing. Even if you're sane about it, you wind up with a bunch of unused toys/gifts because the kids don't have time to focus on any one thing. That's why we have a closet with unopened Birthday presents too.

Anonymous said...

Donating toys is a great idea. Good call H.

As I've gotten older, I've become less interested in presents and more interested in partying with my brothers and friends.

Plus I MEGA LOATHE the mall. Can someone answer when it became socially acceptable to wear pajama pants in public? And I'm not talking about the teenagers.

Anonymous said...

You are right. Gifts every night. Sometimes it seems like we buy gifts just to avoid not having anything. Do the kids really know what Hanukkah is? Of course they are young and getting gifts every night is a treat. I use to buy small little treats like a waitress pad. The girls loved playing waitress and taking our order. Might I mention that was as far as it went. No they didn't cook or serve the meal. But the memories still remain. Happy Holiday everyone. Nana

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that April actually buys gifts because I remember her wrapping my barbie's that I already owned and giving them to me again. She may have had something there, try re-gifting toys that the kids haven't played with in a long time and they may appreciate them more this time.

Anonymous said...

We don't get them anything. My dad gets them 8 gifts, my mom gets them each 1 big gift. That's 9 gifts each, which is plenty!! And then they get Christmas from the Wiley side, so it's just insane.