Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cool New Apple Products

I got a really nice note from Paul Schaye, based on my posting yesterday. I thought that was very cool of him; he sounds like a terrific guy.

Today, as many of you know, was the keynote speech at Macworld, which is the equivalent of the Super Bowl for a tech dork such as myself. It's usually the one day of the year in which I don't get much done at work (in the am at least) but as fate would have it I was super busy today, so wasn't able to participate in all the fanfare. Though I add the caveat that "watching" the keynote is now fully rationalized from a work standpoint, as I have clients who are very interested in Apple product announcements, to put it mildly.

Alas, in my opinion (and evidently Wall Street's too) there were no blockbuster product ala last year's iphone announcement, though I must say that the new
Macbook Air is pretty damn hot. I need to take a closer look at the specs and read the reviews carefully, but boy is it cool looking. I travel quite a bit for work, and just *might* be able to rationalize this one, though I am a tad concerned about the lack of an optical disc drive (one more thing to carry), and the fact that it has no firewire port, and only one USB port. That is something I need to get my head around a bit more.

The other product that has me stoked is AppleTV. I balked at being this one last year, despite Tech Dork Dave and Tech Dork Michael B's pronouncements to the contrary, but I think in retrospect that this product wasn't ready for prime time (I think Steve Jobs would agree, based on his comments today). But it's clear they have evolved their TV strategy and version 2.0 is that much more compelling. So, I will give it consideration, though my client, TiVo, offers pretty much the same solution via their partnership with Amazon Unbox.

Lastly, the iphone firmware upgrade has me stoked too; can't wait to upgrade that puppy tonight.

So, that's my initial thoughts.

Anyone else have anything to add on this subject?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

not being able to swap the battery on the Air is something to think about. But is sure is purty.

Anonymous said...

I used Amazon Unbox on my TiVo last weekend, and i have to admit the picture quality was just OK. it wasn't poor, but it wasn't like watching a DVD either. I wasn't impressed.

As a Netflix subscriber, I also downloaded my first video via their PC service yesterday and I have to say that was actually piss-poor. Not to mention the on-demand video library is really weak.

That said, I'm really curious for the image quality of AppleTV. Is it DVD-quality, or does it suck like the rest?

Anonymous said...

posting this comment from my newly updated iphone, I have to agree. As a day one appletv owner, I'm pretty stoked about the update, and that airbook is hott. but no immediate purchases for me this year, except maybe the TB airport, which is a weird feeling for me.

Anonymous said...

everybody. go outside and play.gs

Anonymous said...

yes. I really wants the new airport too.

I was thinking out loud at action-squad, why no cellular connection? with the providers letting any hardware on their networks, this should've been a no-brainer.