Monday, January 7, 2008

Oh How I Hate Ohio State

Watching the BCS Championship right now and reveling in the fact that Ohio State is getting destroyed. I know, I know: I'm a Big Ten guy and am supposed to pull for the conference, especially against an SEC team.

Sorry, no dice. I simply cannot root for OSU. I wish I could bit I simply cannot. And yes, I will readily admit that there is an element of sour grapes at play here. I will also confess to complete and utter jealousy over the state of their football program versus ours, though for the first time in a long while, I feel very good about the future of Michigan football.

_____________________________________

The last light finally went on today in old Marin County. Our friends were set to sleep over again tonight but discovered just a few moments ago that their power was finally restored. So, the storm is officially over. Now I have to go about discovering -- and repairing, for that matter - the source of many of the leaks that my house sprung. This is not going to be a fun endeavour, but will likely provide motivation to do some work to the house that was been a long time coming, including redoing our floors.

____________________________________

One last item on the above: one of the interesting aspects of natural disasters (not that this was a disaster per se; I'm using this phrase for lack of a better word) is that they definitely bring people together in a good way.

_____________________________________

I am reading several interesting books, including another climbing one: The Boys of Everest, which chronicles the era of legendary climber Chris Bonington and several of his contemporaries, who collectively led some legendary ascents on Himalayan peaks. I'm too early into it for a full review, but even though I'm not a climber (yet), I find something incredibly inspirational about the literary genre. I'll write more on this when I am finished. I also recently finished Ed Viesters biography, No Shortcuts To The Top, which was a good, solid holiday read.

__________________________________

Damn, OSU scored. Hope I wasn't too early in calling this one. Better give this my full attention.

No comments: