Tuesday, January 8, 2008

On Growing Old

Went to the eye doctor this morning for the first time in years and learned that I need glasses, which is something I've suspected for a while. I had Lasik a few years back but there's clearly been some regression. Can't say I am too disappointed; I was warned this would likely be the case when I had the procedure. The good news is that it's only a "mild" prescription and I'll be able to get by without glasses in mots instances.

Along with this, I've been noticing that there's a lot less hair on my scalp these days. And the hair I DO have is quickly turning grey. Not sure if my hair loss is a manifestion of having no thyroid (which controls hair growth), or if it simply has to do with age

Lastly, earlier today I noticed a gnarly ass hair growing on my freaking ear, like an old man! I plucked that bad boy right out but based on all of the above, it's easy to draw a simple conclusion: I am getting freaking old.

Damn.

In other news, if anyone out there is interested, I am giving serious consideration to running the Big Sur marathon (Nicholas?) on April 27th (my birthday weekend I believe). I was really taken by Big Sur during our trip two weeks ago and I figure this marathon will be monumentally beautiful. My intent is to treat it like a training run and take it nice and slow.

Any takers?

3 comments:

quirken said...

you surely must be kidding. how am I going to get into marathon shape in four months. now that I think about it, I am sure the training would be more intense than the run itself.

Treat it as a training run, huh? You are an old bastard.

nicholas

Anonymous said...

how easy we forget..getting older is good, considering the alternative which you must have considered over the past year.also, you train before the race,not during it.gs

Anonymous said...

not true, actually, when the real goal is a 100 miler.

-hs