Monday, January 14, 2008

My New (Cancer) Hero

I was reading about this dude Paul Schaye in the recent issue of Outside (or maybe it was Men's Health) and I was just blown away. Schaye, who resides in New York City is a highly successful investment banker and a seriously accomplished endurance athlete who at the relatively young age of 55 was diagnosed with a rare and incurable form of stomach cancer.

So what does the man do? A few weeks after the diagnosis, he runs the New York marathon. Shortly after that, he complete a half ironman. He's since done the Tour de Pink (200 mile ride) and multiple other races He refuses to call himself a "survivor" and instead refers to himself as a "thriver." He is always training for some epic event, even in the middle of brutal chemo treatments.

Paul has an indomitable spirit unlike anyone I have ever seen or heard of, Lance included. In my eyes, he is a true American hero. Forget about these nonsensical pro athletes, people. All of them. None of them can hold a candle to this dude.

If you have a few moments, please take the time to check out Paul's blog: http://thriveblog.typepad.com/thrive (Michael, can we add this to my blogroll?). It's pretty darn inspirational, to say the least.

My favorite blog posting came after he finished his half ironman. It read: "Paul: 1, Cancer: 0"

I know the feeling and the sentiment. Been there.

Godspeed, Paul Schaye.

Word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That dude is clearly a badass. All the best wishes to him