Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Deceptive Disease

A short post tonight because I am utterly exhausted, but if you get a chance, please take a moment to read the linked article on thyroid cancer from last week's issue of Newsweek. It's a great article and hits pretty close to home for me on many different fronts. Thank you Billy Z for forwarding; I can't believe I missed this one.

_____________________________

I am certainly no economist, but I am fairly certain that our economy is in a recession. The market tanking and fed cut aside, my industry has always been a good bellweather on the state of the economy, as PR dollars are often treated as discretionary and are generally the first thing that is cut when budgets get slashed. And that is what I am unfortunately starting to see these past few weeks. Remember that you heard it here first; other industry's often follow suit three to six months down the road from us.

_____________________________

On a better news front, at least American Idol is back. More on this some time soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's definitely time. The standard pattern for recession periods are 7-8 years (with the exception of the tech boom of the 1990's which came three years late).

The real question is how deep will it go and for how long. 1991 was 11 months, but 2001 was only 8.

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow thanks for that article . it hit the nail on the head.especially being a younger woman at the time of diagnosis. thankfully i caught it early and didn't have that extent of surgery but the emotions involved were the same.

if i failed to say congrats on your last ultrasound I'm saying it now, glad it came back clear!

i'm having a whole body scan next month! whoohooo!