Monday, January 21, 2008

Football

Over the last several years, my interest in professional football has diminished somewhat. This is due to the fact that it is impossible for me to give up the majority of Saturday and Sunday to watch football as well as the fact that my team, the Jets, stink.

I still follow football, but mostly through recaps and box scores. All that being said, as Americans it is our duty and obligation to watch the AFC and NFC championship games, as well as the Super Bowl. Having my boy Steve-O here during the championship games made the day even better. The Patriots game was a bit of a snoozer, but man, the Giants and Packers was about as great a pro game as I can remember.

It had all the elements of a classic: the frozen Green Bay tundra, a legendary quarterback and an emerging quarterback on the rise. The second half was about all well played as one could ask for, Brett Favre's interceptions and the Giants kicking game aside. I felt the Giants deserved to win that one; they simply played better on all fronts and I hope New York fans finally get off young Eli's back.

So far as the Super Bowl is concerned, here we go again: New York vs. Boston. I am not sure who I am going to root for. On one hand Tom Brady is my guy (Michigan alumn) and you have to appreciate their quest for perfection. On the other hand, however, I am still a New Yorker, I like this Manning kid -- he has a lot of character --and how can a New Yorker root for a team from Boston? I guess I have two weeks to decide.

My early prediction, though: Patriots: 34, Giants, 20.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How could you not plug Tivo in a bit about watching football? it's what the thing was made for. You can watch a game in 90 min. or less, depending on how you like to watch.

As for Eli, how soon we forget how he refused to play for SD and forced the trade to the Giants. He's a punk.