Friday, January 25, 2008

Movies

I think this is the longest I've gone without blogging; back to back consecutive 14 hour days coupled with a trip to LA will do that to a guy. On top of that, the weather in both SoCal and NorCal is just miserable; non-stop rain. We are definitely having a very wet winter.

We have a new friend who just moved to our town from LA. He is a screenwriter and gets all of the latest hollywood films from the studios. He's lent a few out to us, which is super cool, especially as it's pretty rare these days to get out to the movies (much to my chagrin).

Anyway, without getting a deep review, Old County for Old Men is just terrific. I read it when I was in my radiation isolation, and it is one of my favorite novels of all time. In fact, I liked it so much that I read many of Cormac McCarthy's other books, including The Road, which is also pretty darn good. Anyway, the movie is incredibly true to the book and I think it was absolutely amazing. Josh Brolin and Javier Barden steal scenes and the Coen Brothers really stepped up their game. I would categorize this as a must see and I would not at all be surprised if it won Best Movie.

I also saw Sweeney Todd. I am a big Johnny Depp and Tim Burton fan and I wanted to like this one, but alas, I really couldn't. The problem isn't really with the movie itself, it has more to do with me: I struggle mightily with musicals. I will confess that I can't really follow them and in this instance, in my opinion the music was a bit much and the songs were quite long. Depp, per usual, was excellent however.

Tonight I will watch Juno and tomorrow Dan in Real Life. More on these two later.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I loved those Cormac McCarthy books as well. I've been looking forward to No Country to come out on DVD.