Sunday, January 27, 2008

Most Dominant Athlete of Our Lifetime?

Nothing too much to report from here except for rain, rain and some more rain.

I was watching coverage online of both the Australian and Buick opens, which got me to thinking: who is the most dominant athlete of our time (defined, let's say, as the last 10-15 years)? There's quite an array of options to choose from: Michael Jordan, Roger Federer, Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong, Wayne Gretzky all quickly come to mind. All have thoroughly dominated their sport, almost like no other.

It's a close call in my book, but I think the overall winner has got to be Tiger Woods. And mind you, I've never in my life golfed and would not categorize myself as a fan. But the guy just so dominates and he's done it for so long now, that I don't see how he can't be the number one choice. Gretzky might be a strong number two: that dude set records that are unlikely to be broken in our lifetime, unless Sidney Crosby has a long career. Lance is a tough call; he's my hero after all, and I am convinced no one will ever break his record of six Yellow Jersey's, but my problem with him is that he never raced the Vuelta or Giro ala Eddie Merckx.

Michael? You can definitely make a convincing argument there. And Federer will likely be regarded as the best tennis player of all time when it's all said and done.

And then there is one ex-Michigan Wolverine QB who plays for the Patriots....

Still, in my book Tiger is the Man. I am curious: who is your choice?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you,ofcourse.gs

Anonymous said...

john navarre.

Anonymous said...

so weird. my crew and i were just talking about this a few months ago. we came to the conclusion that it had to be tiger woods, with jordan coming in a close second. one caveat, though, is that it wasn't most dominant athlete, it was best athlete. and it wasn't in our lifetime, it was EVER. not sure if there's a difference, but for full disclosure and what not.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, dude. Golf isn't really a game of athletics, it's a game of skill (anyone seen Craig "The Walrus" Stadler? He ain't no athlete). Tiger Woods is pretty dominant, but as an athlete, I think Jordan takes the cake.

If you're talking all time, Jesse Owens or Jim Thorpe would be good candidates, but that's a pretty USA-centric focus. I'm sure there were dominant athletes in other countries of which I am less aware (Paavo Nurmi, anyone?)