Saturday, September 6, 2008

Early Results are In

Ok, I am just back from my race and we have a few updates:

The Boy and the Girl both got into that action and swam laps today. Not sure if it was in my honor but hey, I am in PR so what the hell; let's say that they did. Hope The Wife took a picture.

My friend Diana in New York did yoga. A bit unusual, but it's "active" and it counts; thanks Diana!

My main man Neilie S (my brother) a former (three time) marathoner, dusted off the old running shoes and ran for three miles (at least that's what I think he said). Picture of Neilie to follow. Way to go Neil -- hope you keep running. You still have to beat me in a marathon in this lifetime if I remember correctly.

My main man Payro, who you all know, literally ran two hours in a hurricane in DC. No joke. For anyone else this would be the biggest accomplishment of the weekend, but for Payro it's just another day in the park. He promised to send a photo tomorrow when he runs yet another two hours.

My main man Nick Quirke, who's training for his first marathon, busted out his first ever 20 miler in the scorching time of 3 hours flat. Proud of you, Nick. You are well on your way.

And I guess I did my part too. My Facebook feed says it all: "20 miles + 4,000 feet of climbing * 92 degrees = total agony.
In a nutshell, more things went wrong than right: I has some major GI issues in the am (I will spare you the details), I twisted my ankle badly (I expect it to be locked up tomorrow), it was blazing hot and myself and a whole bunch of others ran off course for two miles (which pissed me off; you do NOT want to get blown off course 3 hours and 15 minutes into a race, trust me). That all being said, I felt pretty darn strong. Hills (massive hills. And plenty of them) aside, I was able to keep us a very consistent and decent pace and I generally felt good. I will post some pictures later.

So, that's the update thus far. More coming soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rookie from NJ reporting in with 6 mile run pre Tropical Storm Hanna. 82 degrees and 88% RH killed me. I will be doing another 10 tomorrow post Hanna - hopefully cooler and less humid.
Great job with your race!

Unknown said...

thanks for calling me (or my choice of activity) out as "unusual", mr. solomon! no good deed goes unpunished. geez. just kidding. i am totally comfortable in my belief that yoga is a "sport". you don't have to torture yourself and your body to stay lean and mean. if you ever want to join me for some serious vinyasa (flow) yoga, or holding poses for many breaths as the muscles burn, i think you'll appreciate what i'm saying about the challenging sport of OM - haha! that said, for all of you running 4 hours plus in a weekend, well, you kick my yogi ass.