Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Alrightee

I haven't heard from any of you so I am requesting a roll call below: what will you be doing for the Thyroid Cancer Run this coming weekend? I will kick things off: I will be going a gnarly, 30k (18.6 miles) trail run in the Oakland hills. That is, I will be doing it if I can figure out how to find the start line, but that's a story for another day.

_______________________________

I used to be a big Joe Lieberman fan and there's still a few things that I like about him, but I think the dude has lost his mind. I will leave it at that for now.

______________________________

If any of you are into "outdoor living" books in the spirit of "A Walk in the Woods" By Bill Bryson (one of my all-time favorites; I was excited to learn my buddy Jeff is currently reading this for the first time) I strongly suggest "The Cactus Eaters" by Dan White. It's the story about his attempted traverse across the Pacific Coast Trail (which crosses not too far from my house, for whatever it's worth). It is equal parts funny and entertaining and though it gets blown a bit off course at times, I am finding it a terrifically light but interesting read.

_______________________________

I have been listening to a ton of new music (my marathon training has picked up big time these past few weeks -- nothing like new music during a 2.5 hour run), much of it good. I am getting into this new genre (realtively new, anyway) called "dubstep" which is probably the most interesting new category I have heard in a long while. More on this later. In the interim, though, I have to say that the new Brian Eno/David Byrne album, which coincidentially is reviewed today on Pitchfork, is absolutely excellent and is getting markedly better with each progressive listen. Might be might second favorite album of the year behind Girl Talk. Important caveat: I'm a huge Talking Heads fan. If you like the Heads, I think you will like this too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in for 13 Miles - to coincide with my marathon training.

Byrne/Eno = best.

quirken said...

I will be running 20, doubling my contribution from last year.

Color me excited.

nicholas

Anonymous said...

i'll dust off the running shoes and hit the streets of brooklyn for 3-5 miles on sunday

Anonymous said...

i'll dust off the running shoes and hit the streets of brooklyn for 3-5 miles on sunday

Anonymous said...

I will be doing a 25-mile training run either Saturday or Sunday, depending on family's schedule...in preparation for a 6-hour on 9/20...

Anonymous said...

I'm in for 20.

Howard Solomon said...

Stokes me! ANd I'll be doing 18. 18.6 to be precise.

hs

Anonymous said...

You can count me and Mike in for something. Not sure about the mileage but I will let you know.
Penny

Anonymous said...

I'll be running 20 miles along the beaches of sunny LA.

-SMR