Thursday, September 4, 2008

Restoring Vision

I had lunch with the most interesting person today. He's the founder of an organization called PRVAIL. You can learn about them here. In a nutshell, they provide glasses and sunglasses to the needs, mostly those in foreign, third-world countries. To date, they have given away hundreds of thousands of free glasses. Evidently, when people learn they are coming they line up for days in advance. And me, like a moron, I only line up for a stupid iPhone.

This guy was in this purely to help others. He isn't seeking fame, glory or anything of the sort. He's singularly dedicated to helping improve the lives of others.

Contrast against the blowhards of the Republican National Convention. The Democratic National Convention too for that matter. They talk and talk and talk and talk. While this guy just "does", simply for the sake of doing good. In the Jewish religion we call this performing a mitzvah.

Anyway, I was pretty inspired by this guy and I'm hopeful and optimistic that I can rally my firm to help him out in his efforts.

But more broadly than that, I hope that one day - preferably sooner than later -- I can find a way to do my part too.

Anyway, food for thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

does he give away contacts too. gs