Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Old Guys

If you hang out anywhere long enough, I guess you start to become a regular. And that's what has happened to me at my local pool.

I've been swimming there regularly for more than two years and over that time have gotten to know most of the regulars. Most of whom are pretty old dudes. Of course, California being California, here old dudes swim every day. But I digress.

So anyway I'm hanging out in the locker room post swim on Friday when one of the old dude comes in and starts chatting away with me (note to old dude: you're a cool guy and all but put some clothes on next time please). In the middle of our chat in walks another old dude, so now the three of us start chatting. Two minutes later, you guessed it: another old dude. We're having a regular koffeeklatsch the four of us, chit chatting away (about what, I couldn't tell you) when it hits me like a thunderbolt: I'm an old dude. Or at least, I'm one of the old dudes. And it's doubtful I'll ever be the young dude anymore.

Weird thing is -- I think I'm ok with this all. Because old dudes are cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

H, I want you to know, that even though you've always been an "old dude" to me, you've always been one of us "young guys" in spirit.