Wednesday, March 7, 2012

New iPad

Well, the new iPad was introduced today and I am sure it is going to be as cool as hell. Folks are going to say that it wasn't a big announcement but once they see and experience all that is under the hood, I expect they will feel differently.

But for me personally, I will likely sit this one out. Sure, the new screen is going to be fantastic - no question about it. But that really appeals to folks who play games and watch movies, and I really do neither. I use mine to surf the Internet and read and maybe the occasional watch the occasional movie while travelling. And what about 4g? I think it will be KILLER in the next iPhone (presuming they nail the battery) but it's really a non-starter for me vis a vis iPad, especially considering that I use wifi 95 percent of the time.

What I AM excited about is the new iPhoto app editor. I will definitely be buying that one today.

So anyway, that's where I stand. But of course, as always, I reserve the right to change my mind. I sure do hate  getting on line early in the morning.

(UPDATE - here is what I wrote for my company's blog....)


Those of you who know me know that I am quite possibly the biggest Apple fanboy ever. There hasn't been a major product introduction in which I haven't been on line at 6 am. I quite literally have enough Apple products in my home to open a small retail store. Apple products are beyond a hobby for me - they've become a borderline obsession. And so with that as background, I was asked today to offer my thoughts on the new iPad that was introduced a few short hours ago.

For starters, I am sure it is going to be as cool as hell. Most Apple products are. The media is likely to report that it was a disappointing announcement but I very much disagree. Like most recent Apple introductions, most significantly the iPhone 4s, the biggest changes aren't cosmetic but under the hood. Once folks get a chance to interact with the new iPad (which appears to be its official name!) I expect they will feel differently and recognize that it's a big step up.

All that being said, maybe somewhat surprisingly, I will likely sit this one out. Sure, the new screen is going to be fantastic - no question about it. But an enhanced screen really appeals to folks who play games and watch movies, and I really do neither. I use mine primarily to surf the Internet and read and maybe watch the occasional movie while travelling.

And what about 4g you say? I think it will be KILLER in the next iPhone (presuming they nail the battery) but it's really a non-starter for me vis a vis iPad, considering that I use wifi 95 percent of the time.

What I AM excited about is the new iPhoto app editor. I will definitely be buying that one today (update: already purchased). And likely the new Apple TV too (update: ditto Apple TV). But I digress.

So anyway, that's where I stand. But of course, as always, I reserve the right to change my mind. Those who know me have stated with certainty that regardless of what I say now, I will be making this purchase. They very well might be right. I do not relish the thought of not being one of the first five in line and much like Joe DiMaggio, I do feel some pressure to keep my hitting streak intact....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spend the money on an even better investment with excellent ROI - a LV Delightful bag for your lovely, charming and perfect wife!