Monday, May 5, 2008

All Systems Go

I'm getting set to head out to Chicago on Thursday, where I am meeting up with my main man Payro before we head to Wisconsin for the Ice Age Trail 50k.

I finished my last long run yesterday and generally am feeling ready; I wish I had one more three hour run under my belt, but oh well, nothing I can do about it now. I am without question pretty fit and fairly certain I will finish, however I intend to "race" this one versus my typical ultramarathon saunter (editors note: trail ultras are generally pretty darn slow, even when one is "racing"). I predict that I'll have a fairly easy go of it through about 20-22 miles, and then it's anyones guess. At least it's a 50k (31 miles) and not the 50 miler I originally signed up for; good to know that I have at least a modicum of sense lft in my head (though I am sure some of you rightfully think that there's nothing sensical about running a very hilly 31 miles).

Anyway, I have to confess that there's nothing I enjoy more in the world than my annual (or bi-annual as the case sometimes might be) ultra runs with Payro. He and I are sympatico running partners and without getting too new age-y or ridiculously spiritual, there's something very cleansing about a long hard day on the trails. And it comes at just the right time; I feel like I can use a break.

So anyway, this week will features lot of eating, drinking (but alas water only) and resting prior to the big race on Saturday.

Wish us luck.

And I have a new adventure planned for anyone interested if you have a moment, check this one out. Literally in my backyard (front yard, actually). I am planning on the 50 miler but can be convinced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU BOTH! Hope the weather holds out. Pyro look after the man. Don't let him go beyond his limits. Enjoy! Nana