Friday, May 2, 2008

One Year Anniversary!

Today is the one year anniversary of this blog, something I find hard to believe. 275 posts in a year; ain't that something.

I re-read my first post last night, which was written during a very dark time in my life. I've said it before and I will say it again; it's truly astonishing how much ones fortune can change over the course of 365 days. Fortunately for me, my life has changed for the better. But I'll never forget the bad.

One of the lessons I have learned this past year -- and great big huge warning that a tired cliche is coming-- is that you have to really live each day like it's your last. Might sound like a crock but it's true.

I've given a lot of thought of late as to what to do with this blog; whether I should give it a new motif, whether I should center it around a particular subject, or, frankly, whether I should say goodbye. Part of me was even thinking about saying goodbye today, on the one year anniversary.

But then a funny thing happened today; I got a terrific email from a cousin I haven't heard from in along while - a cousin, that I quite frankly, don't know all that well. Unbenownst to me, she's been reading and enjoying this (at least I presume she's been enjoying it!) for the past several months. She shared some great stories about my grandparents that I had never heard. In a weird way, I think this blog might have actually forged a bit of a bond between us. And I hearken back to others I've heard from through the course of the past year, and I'd say the same holds true. New bonds with former strangers (hello Crazymama, one of my all-time favorite people. despite the fact that we have never met as well as Joel and others) and new bonds with family. Now THAT stokes me.

So thanks, cousin Merel. Your message couldn't have come at a more appropriate time.

To borrow a phrase from the inimitable Robert Zimmerman (that would be Bob Dylan for the uninitiated), I think I'm going to keep on keepin' on.

Talk to y'all tomorrow. And a big thanks for taking the time to listen.

Word.

6 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

seems like a week to stop blogging for more than you this week. i almost quit on Sunday.after 1000 posts in 13 months. and making tons of blog friends, including YOU. anyway, i didn't, glad you aren't either. you would be missed. pretty much the only time i acknowledge the fact that i had cancer is when you blog about yours.or announce another member of the cool thyca club. it's healthier to acknowledge it once in a while, so thanks for that. glad you decided to keep on keeping on.

Anonymous said...

Never stop doing what you love that is the key with your ambitions, with your family and friends and most of all your lust for life and new adventures.

I look forward to your blog every morning. I feel it is a way of keeping intouch. I know you have so many adventures that you can write about so let us hear about them. Every day is a gift so enjoy! Nana

Anonymous said...

i know a robert zimmerman but who is this bob dylan.gs

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you decided to keep on going. I enjoy reading about your BUSY life and wonder how you fit so much into a day. Another old expression, maybe from before your time-Keep on truckin' applies here. SuG

gailaj said...

Hi Howard,
Happy Anniversary (and belated Happy Birthday) from another person who is happy that you kept going....since I just joined the "thyca club" (as I e-mailed you privately) and am also an endurance athlete, it was great to find you to share notes...hope to see you at an ultra run in my neck of the woods in the near future!

Anonymous said...

happy blogiversary! maybe just a new look and feel? cancerman brand revival? let me know -- happy to make some design tweaks if you want -- just make sure you keep blogging.