Wednesday, July 25, 2007

On Sports

I must admit, that as a huge sports fan (which includes virtually every sport ranging from football and baseball to more esoteric ones such as cycling and track and field), events of the past few weeks have left me enormously down on sports in general. Here's just a simple recap:

-- Michael Vick and the allegations that he ran a dog fighting operation. While I'm not a charter member of PETA by any means, this, if true is just despicable. And if the allegations are true that he personally killed eight dogs, I think they should put him in jail and throw away the key.

-- The NBA ref who allegedly bet on basketball. I believe that this could very well turn into the biggest fiasco in the history of sports, exclusive of the Black Sox scandal, especially if it turns out there were other refs involved.

-- Barry Bonds and his quest for the home run title, which needs no further narrative.

-- Yesterday's situation at the Tour with Vino. Of all riders, why you, Vino? I really can understand why Scottish cyclist David Millar, upon hearing this news, put his hands on his head and cried. As you know, I am passionate about The Tour, and this was just a kick in the pants.

A few years ago I pretty much made the decision that while I would always be a sports fan -- it's in my blood, after all -- that I would stop really caring (I was so bad back in the day that I was known to have thrown up during Michigan basketball games) and no longer become emotionally involved. I will be the first to admit that while Michigan and Yankee playoff losses still sting badly (particularly losses to OSU and USC!), I'm getting much better about shaking them and moving on.

Which brings me in a roundabout manner to last night.

The kid's camp bought a block of tickets to the Giant's game. The kids just love this camp and coupled with Bond's home run chase (I don't like him but it would not suck to witness baseball history) and The Boy's emerging interest in baseball, I thought it would be a great family outing.

To step back for a second, I've taken him to several games in the past, including multiple Cubs games back when we lived in Chicago and a few Giants games last year. At best, he lasted about three or four innnings and showed minimal interest in the game itself (he was way more consumed - literally -- by the hot dogs and cotton candy).

Anyway, last night was special. I was ready to leave after four innings -- it was freezing in the bleachers and The Girl was squirming and utterly disinterested (and that is The Wife I am talking about. Forget about Summer). I told them we were leaving and The Boy looked me in the eye and said "no way." I told him that the Giant's were pretty much done and he said "they can still win."

So, we hung around. Come the ninth inning, with one out and no one on and the Giant's down 4-0. I said let's go and beat the traffic. Again, he said, "No way. We can still win this game. No way dad."

And wouldn't you know, so help me g-d, like a scene out of the movies, the Giant's rallied with one out and no one one and tied it up in the bottom of the ninth. The place was going wild and he looked at me with this absolutely beatific smile, his baseball glove still on in hand (waiting, with the thronged masses, to catch a Barry Bond's home run) and said "You see dad. I told you so. Anyone can come back."

Indeed.

I won't bore you with the details of the rest of the night, like how I *finally* cajoled him out of there after the 11th inning (his sister was literally sleep walking). Or how he would not get out of the car in our driveway until after the game was over (no Hollywood ending here -- Giant's lost 7-5 in 13).

But I will say, last night it became clear to me that my son has learned to love the game. Despite my early concerns, I do think that he might have the Solomon sports gene.

And the only think I ask, is that the next generation of athletes -- and referees as the case may be -- not blow things for him, much like has been the case for our generation. Step up and take responsibility, because our kids really deserve better.

(PS. I know Jeff, this might go against the grain of some my previous diatribes. But this post isn't necessarily about the drugs in sport. It's about changing behaviors)

7 comments:

Michael said...

I still really enjoy watching the big four sports but I'm getting to the point where I really do not put any real emotion or energy into them. In fact, whereas i used to live and die with each Michigan victory or loss, I almost feel like "who cares" now.

The whole collegiate/pro sports culture has become abhorrent in many ways.

Anonymous said...

It's official. Tour leader Michael Rasmussen has been removed from the race by his Rabobank team.

Don't know if I will even bother watching the rest of the tour - who cares at this point. The whole thing is a travesty.

Anonymous said...

So where are you on Lance? If he didn't cheat he's a superhuman because it seems that everyone else was doing it. If he did cheat, well, everyone else was doing it and he was obviously better at it.

I kind of feel the same way about Bonds (although you can kind of throw out the "if he didn't" part). So many people were cheating, including the guys pitching to him, but he was still far and away the best player at the time. So, should we just accept it all and just try and move on?

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked people are shocked about cheating in sports.

Duh.

What's amazing about the Tour is how pervasive doping is. Almost like it's been an unspoken part of Tour culture for years.

I'm just saying, it makes me wonder...

Anonymous said...

HS, doping and behavior are all part of the same problem. I am as much a capitalist as the next guy, but things are out of whack and the pressure to be on top (to achieve money and fame) have been making it harder and harder for athletes to resist the temptation. Not to mention the ultimate hypocrisy which is that we (the fans) love the heroics even though we know it's too good to be true, yet we ignore it until the proof comes out.

At the end of the day, we have to be realists. It isn't going to go away. Ever. So, the best we can do is choose to enjoy what we want to enjoy and hope that sporting officials can fight it harder each year rather than act as co-dependents (and co-beneficiaries).

Yes, btw, in many respects I just took your initial position about just enjoying it and not worrying about the cheats... as long as they keep chasing and nailing the cheats that is.

And on that latter note, it is time for a wholesale house-cleansing of the people running the cycling federations, the TDF, the labs, and the doping agencies. Because it is their incompetence, convoluted systems, politics, and rules that have allowed this to happen in cycling. Enough moaning and pompous BS from those guys about how this is all such a disgrace. Whah, Whah. You guys failed, hit the freaking road and get someone else in who can do the job. I mean think about it... for a rider to actually dope during a race when they know they will probably win a stage and be tested can only mean they are convinced they can get past the system one way or another. Perhaps there are new methods that the tests can't detect... but blood transfusions and testosterone? C'mon. They must know the system is a joke and its the officials that are responsible for it.

Anonymous said...

Finkel: I can only go with the evidence and Lance is the most tested athlete ever and has always tested clean. I really want to believe that post-cancer, he would not mess with drugs. That said, I do think he used EPO in his Motorola, pre-cancer days, and I think from a PR perspective it was a big mistake for him not to confess to that. So ... in my humble opinion, Lance is indeed superhuman. This has kind been proved in the labs too with his VO2 max tests......

Anonymous said...

Knicks girl: go away

Jeff:: we are totally on the same page